Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not Fido. Man's other best friend. You know, Duct Tape!

After reading that a good back quiver should be made out of soft leather to allow it to collapse against your back, I got to thinking about an old episode of Myth Busters -- the one where they made a bunch of stuff out of duct tape. One of the guys commented that working with layered duct tape is similar to working with light weight leather. And since I don't have a cheap/free source of leather, but I did have a big roll of duct tape, I started wondering about using layered duct tape to make a quiver.

Since I couldn't find a pattern I really liked online, I decided to just follow Saxton Pope's instructions from "Hunting with the Bow & Arrow" (available for free at gutenberg.org), but using duct tape instead of deer hide.

After folding down the cuff at the top, I slipped an oval-shaped piece of wire coat hanger inside the cuff and taped it down. I also taped a straight piece of wire from the same coat hanger along one side of the quiver to keep it from bending sideways and making it hard to put arrows back in. Following Mr. Pope's instructions, I put a small circle of carpet in the bottom to protect the tape from my field points.

My one major deviation from Mr. Pope's design (aside from the material) was my decision to make it a back quiver instead of a belt quiver. I had quite a bit of trouble at first, trying to get it to stay in place, but with some help from Forum members and a look at a YouTube video of a 3Rivers back quiver, I was able to get it to fit right and stay in place.

I finished up by adding a little pocket for my tab. As a bonus, the arrows in the pictures are bamboo with duct tape fletchings. I bought some camo duct tape the other day, so I might use it to add another layer to the quiver and give it a more finished look.

And since

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
JD
I know it's wrong on so many levels, but I've GOT to make me one of those !!!!!!

and ......

.... Duct tape fletchings .... fantastic

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
McGuiver comes to mind, good job and the fletching is cool. Couple pics on how to do fletching from duct tape would be interesting.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Very cool, but I'm going to start to object if you try to make your bow out of duct tape. :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
On reading the title I had the horrible image of a Labrador retriever head at the top and you put the arrows in it's mouth, the long black pelt quiver with that long black tail.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Yep...I havent tried it myself yet but I will once the weather breaks and my niece and nephews want to come shoot again.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In NZ that's called the #8 Wire mentality,,,as in you can make or fix most things with a length of #8 Wire.
Plus,That quiver would go so well with a PVC bow.
Welcome to the club Bro",,,,you got the right stuff.

John.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Engineers best friends. Duct tape and baling wire.

Why is duct tape like the "force"?

It has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Uncle Red would be proud of you!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm thinking the only thing that would make that more awesome is camo duct tape!

Who mentioned "bacon" as man's other best friend? I'll bet they make bacon duct tape :)

Working through a 12 step program for Warf-aholism. 4 warfs in the arsenal -- 8 to go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts