Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, tonight I sat the target out at 20 to try something different. I hadn't shot since I think it was Sunday when I had the DISMAL 40 yard challenge day. 22, then a 60. It was an eye opener for sure, so, I figured I'd like that target better at 20!

I shot a sweet little 35#er that I built for my buddies wife. Its unfinished, bare wood on the shelf and strike plate. Its got a 10 strand string from Rod with a couple wool yarn balls on it. I shot 3 Cheetahs with 100 grain points, 3 4" shield cut feathers. (anyone know the weight on the Cheetahs?)
I shoot split finger and I was using a new glove. I also was not using an aiming system...but did notice as I went along that the X ring was consistently where my window curves back in at the top of the riser. If I concentrated on that though, I'd shoot poorly.

Anyhow, with only 3 arrows, i had to shoot 20 ends. I totaled at 238...I had two 8 point 3 arrow ends, a couple 10's, but by far the majority were 12's. I only had ONE 15...kind of disappointing.

With all that said, i think within a few more rounds I should be able to hit 250...but then again, it depends on how I can keep my composure as those decent numbers start to mount up! :0)

Ernie

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
Ernie,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're kind of cheeting by only using 3 arrows. The extra concentration and focus needed to shoot 5 arrows in succession is part of the 300 round's challange. Fletch up a couple more arrows and try it again and you will see the difference.

Good luck and good shooting,
Dave

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cant take it the wrong way...as I really have no clue as to the official ways of these rounds!! Makes sense though.

It will be a while before I shoot it for real, as the most arrows I have of a decent target quality, is 4. Gotta save some $$ I guess.

Ernie

·
Registered
492 Posts
What are the rules?

My understanding is 12 ends of 5 arrows each from 20 yards. Five minute time limit per end.
Are there rules regarding warming up, etc.
I'm sure there must be a Mulligan system...right? Oh, darn... I could use one!!
Thanks!
Jim

:thankyou:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just ran out with my 48#er and flung a few of my elephant arrows at 20 yards...of which I had 4 fletched up. They seemed to group real well for me, so I have one in the Bitz right now and in about 1/2 hour I'll go fling 12 ends of 5!

Ernie

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, stepped out with freshly fletched (one of them fresh) Gold Tip 5575 Traditional Blemishes, 32 inches long, 100 grain brass adapter, 200 grain field point, 4 shield cut at 75/105 flying out of my 48# Sapphire, Juniper limbs, Bubinga handle, 3 piece, 12 strand Great Strings, brass nock, wool yarn ball silencers, split finger with glove.
Overcast, rain imminent.

5X5443
5X5543
5X5544
5X5444 1st half 123.

5X4443
55332 2nd half 110. Ouch.
Total 233. The shots that went bad (the 2's and 3's) FELT bad, which is probably a good thing. This will be addicting...I can tell.

I absolutely CANT believe that there are a few guys shooting as good or better than I am on this target at 40 yards. All I can say is WOW and I have so much respect for your shooting ability.

Ernie

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
Excellent!

Ernie,

For someone new to the 300 round, shooting a 48# bow, 233 is a very good score. Most people I know say reaching 240 (shooting barebow) is the mark of a very good shooter. Yea it is addicting. You (and the rest of us) keep thinking you can do just a little better.

By the way, could you see the difference in concentration necessary to shoot 5 in a row instead of 3? I sure can. Las time I shot this I had quite a few 24s and the miss was most always that last arrow.

Dave

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll tell how it worked for me! I usually had the bad shot in arrow 1 or 2 (however, my last arrow of the entire round was my worst...almost a 1).

For some reason, I get more focused and more intent on a 5 after I miss a couple!

I'm not sure how things will progress, but I can only hope they WILL! Not digress. I had 3 16's that I should be able to turn into 20's, thats 12 points! If the rain holds off, I'll be out there one more time today.

Ernie

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
I shot my first 300 round

As it has been raining for the past month (at least it seams that long) here in Maine, I went to an indoor range and tried my first 300 round today. It seamed to be alot of shots for me, as I mostly shoot 3D or back yard targets. Still, pretty fun.. I used a Browning Olympian, 66" #41 @28, bare bow style. I shot a 225, I was OK with that. I felt at the end that my sight picture was improving and becoming more focused. definately going to shoot it some more. Got a tournament this week end though so back to the 3D's for a while. I'm also practising for that 40yrd. challenge..shooting is addictive...:deadhorse

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Job Falcon!
It is addictive...I shot two more rounds today. Used the 35#er with the 630 grain arrows!! Still wasn't point on, guess I have to change my nock point! SHot a 231 and 236. I think I will be able to get to 150 once I settle down abit.

Good Luck all,

Ernie

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I guess I am also chasing 240!
Today I am BOMBING hard. Shot a 201, with a 92 on the second half. Wow...couldn't do ANYTHING to make is stop either.

You guys ever just quit in a round and not finish it? I wanted to , but I also wanted to see if I could improve...nope.

Ernie

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I dont know if anyone else will ever see this thread, but I finally got 240...hit 243 today and I had some real awkward shots that I think I can straighten out and probably hit 250 in the next week or so....

I cant stop thinking about shooting 300!!

E

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did notice that, but honestly, I think my plateau is going to be a hair higher. The 240ish rounds I"ve felt like I am still way out of it on concentration....we shall see! :0)

I'm having LOTS of fun...I do know that!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
It was stated that it is suppose to be 12 rounds of 5 what about 6 rounds of 10 or 5 rounds of 12? I tend to be selectively lazy and would rather walk back and forth fewer times. But if you all say that it needs to be 12 of 5 I will do so. I found my 40cm targets and went out and shot 2 sets shooting 10 at a time and scored a 171 followed by a 167. Not great, but it's a start since I haven't shot much in the last year or so.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah DA...I know it will drive me crazy. Yesterday I was shooting 22's for like 4 rounds straight, then I thought about and how I was going to shatter my last score...Next arrow....2!!! %#[email protected]%#

If I dont think about it I do real well. My last end last night was that 17...about 4 points less than my avg. end!

D, I think to be "official" you have to do the 12/5 thing, but personally, I dont care if you do it that way or not. 6 ends of 10 would be fine with me. Its just that you are doing it "a little different" than everyone else.

Ernie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts