• One piece Recurve

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Selfbow/Natural wood Laminate

Votes: 2 3.4%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
One-piece Recurve, my first real Bow was a one-piece so the comfort/confidence is ingrained since thats all I've ever shot (two-years on "training wheels", but I saw the light and got rid of the heavy, soul-less thing)...
My first real Bow was a yard-sale Kodiak Magnum @52lbs($5.00 with a handfull of cedar arrows) when I was 14-15, loved that bow so much, very short and handy in NY thickets(though I thought I was genius for "discovering" a one finger above and one finger below to counter the extreme finger pinch), I bought another one maybe 10years later and used it untill 8years ago when I ordered a 60" BlackWidow PTF3...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My Caribow Tuktu, one piece static tip recurve.

Hand made for me by Abe Penner.

Why?

A gift from my wife.. LOL

Decided that if I am going to wander around amimlessly, in the woods, I may as well carry something light and purdy. LOL

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
YOu don't have three piece recurve as a choice bud.....My border black douglas is my go to bow....I have 43# and 53# and 60# limbs for it..

I have an border ILF in a 53# set too and a border ILF longbow #53 too raptor...and those will be my hunting bows unless I unload some to by a covert hunter...hmmm

Jer

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I was searching for an ILF recurve before they became a common thing,and I didn't actually realise it was even ILF I was looking for.
It was just any good quality metal risered hunting bow I wanted.
It started when I saw a Hoyt hunting recurve in a shop in the mid too late 90's.
I think it was a Talon but couldn't really be positive about that now.
Anyway,by the time I raised the money the bow had sold and gone out of production so I just went back to shooting my Martin Mamba.
A few years later my Mrs insisted that we buy a home PC and a whole new world opened up about the same time that DAS hit the market.
So I bought a DAS hunter but wasn't totally happy with some of the vibes surrounding it so I sold it an replaced it with the first Hoyt Dorado to be bought into NZ.
When I hurt my back I sold the Dorado, but eventually recovered enough to get back into archery and bought a 17" Titan which I'm very happy with.
I Just need the 19 inch Titan an the black magic to complete the whole trifactor now.

John.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
After experimenting for the past few months with shorter factory risers I find I'm going more and more back to what I've found that I'm most comfortable with....my Warfs.... particularly my Black Bear Warf. It's proven to be the smoothest, most accurate for me in my 3D endeavors, stands to reason it'll do the same for hunting. I would like to try a Warf in a shorter length, something 18"-19", and probably DAS this time just for brush/blind shooting.

May be time for a little horse-trading....

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking I like 21's but it seems for a hunter that a 19 would be the best all around length. LR,,find yourself a Hoyt tracker?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sam I'm going to have to do a little house cleaning/horse trading first but looking for something along those lines. If you come across one let me know. I wish I could have taken advantage of that 18" Quinn you had....

·
Premium Member
12,824 Posts
Sam I'm going to have to do a little house cleaning/horse trading first but looking for something along those lines. If you come across one let me know. I wish I could have taken advantage of that 18" Quinn you had....
uh-oh SAM.....

·
Premium Member
12,824 Posts
I like my 19" Quinn warf with SKY longbow limbs....64" bow....
I also use my 17" old Dalaa with short ILF recurve limbs....58" bow...

Reactions: pcox

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do like a BB with shorts for hunting and have killed several with that set up. A guy can get a set of shorts a tad heavy in weight and back them out which makes the preload and geometry a little more leaned back for a 28-29 inch draw. I have had several high dollar risers and always return to a Warf for my go to Bow because I know they work and do not worry about beating it up if I slip and fall put a scratch on it.

I have killed Elk and WT with a Bear Black Bear warf and know they work.

I think a lot of it is,,and I understand it, to have the latest greatest high dollar so called "Cool" riser and limbs but basic stuff will kill just as good if your handling your end on a shot at Game.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts