Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot 3 300 rounds in the last couple of days. My best score was 119. Then I discovered I was using a half-sized target!

Tonight I walked outside with 3 boys and we lined up in front of the real thing at 20 yards. We all shot and recordered our very 1st 300 round ever. My 4 year old actually got 10 points on one end!

I shot a 191. I am using something I am field testing for David Soza, and it rocks! I had it a little mis-adjusted so that if I did everything right I was grouping in the 4 ring just left of the 5 ring. I did not warm up or adjust my sight, I just shot for groups on the left edge of the 5 ring.

All in all I was pretty happy with that score. I think I'll make my first proficiency goal to break 225.

I need to cut my arrows, re-fletch with smaller vanes and attach my new clicker. Then tune everything and adjust the new sight.

I think 225 is real doable before summer is up.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I think you will get that 225 real quick.After shooting a few it seems to get a lot easier to a point.My goal was a 240 but it came too quick so I had to raise the bar some.From 240 to 260 took a lot more doing and I will have to get busy to ever hit 270 this summer. It is probably going to take a target bow or new limbs for the DAS. :) Maybe if I could get that Quinn Comet back for a while. :lol:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Looking back to when a started shooting the 300, these are some very good milestones you guys are discussing. My sticking points were at around 220, then 240 and 260 (the mark which in my mind sets the good 300 shooters apart from the hobbyists). No matter how well you shoot in other types of rounds, you've got to shoot the 300 at least once a week to hang around the 260 mark. I usually can't exceed it by much except in midwinter, when I'm shooting the blue several times a week.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I also succumbed to shooting blue. I find it is a nice consistent yardstick to measure your performance by. My first round was 205 and I was really depressed about that. I was a 292-296 shooter with my compound. My next round was a 211 and my ears started to prick up. The following week I shot a 225. Getting warm. The past two weeks I shot the exact same scores: 241 each week. It killed me that my last 241 contained a 13 and a 15 though. My next target is 250!

Greg

·
Premium Member
5,438 Posts
Good shooting, Greg! Traditional archers know the axiom of "aim small - miss small" by heart, but for some reason, many have a hard time realizing that 300 rounds train you to do just that - aim small and miss small.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's encouraging, Greg. I never shot any competition with my compound or "rounds" of any sort, but I had a pretty high standard of excellence that I am working my way back to, with my WARF'r.

Well done!

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Congrats guys! Shooting the 300 round can be addicting, fun and humbling all in the same round....lol Having an indoor range, some days in the off season, I shoot 3 rounds a day....trying to shoot that perfect round that always seems to escape me !

Mike... when you saw a 270+ score while shooting a 1/2 size target, did you think...whats up ??

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I'm glad to see others become interested in shooting this round. If you work hard at it, all of your shooting (stumping, 3-D, hunting) will thank you for it. Even though it's a set yardage, it still does wonders for putting consistency into your shooting.

When I was doing 300's a long time ago and shooting instinctively (yes, totally instinctive).... I was doing real good to break 220. Then when I started messing around recently with arrow length and weight, and actually "aiming", my scores jumped into the 240's. That 260 is very difficult... lots of concentration and no room for flub-ups.

I've been practicing that 40-yard thing recently, and tonight when I went out to shoot, I walked up to the 20 mark. Wow!! What a piece of cake compared to those "hail mary's" at 40, LOL. I've been thinkin' about painting the 4-ring white for shooting the 40-yarder. Is that cheating??? :p

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Second round - gettin there

Rod,

Did I ever!

I shot for the second time today. Did it early, by myself. Sight still needs some adjustment but I shot 223 with seven X's, after a single warm-up end.

I shot too many 3's and managed to yank one off the target on round 11. (As a matter of fact, my arrow was just off, at 11:00!) Then I bore down and shot 3 fives and a four, including 2 x's in that same end. Go figure. :sbrug:

Lots of concentration needed, I can see. I also need to back my bow down just a tad. I have some good shoulder fatigue factoring in by the 10th end.

Mike

BTW - I changed the title of the thread because I have a new goal. If I can hit 250 I will be a moderately accomplished hobbyist, right OZ? Not sure I'm ready to become a serious 300 rounder just yet. :)

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
You're on your way to getting there, Mike. Those 5's are a testament to that. :)

How do you change the title of a thread? Last time I tried that I couldn't get it to work.

thanks
- Dave

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Piney, I wouldn't consider painting the 4-ring cheating. I actually do it mentally. Obviously I'm not the best shooter - yet - on this 40 challenge, but something that really helps me steady out in the sight picture is to shoot the 4-ring. I try to sort of paint it yellow in my head, so I don't see the 5-ring. Interestingly, I get just as many 5s as I would when aiming at the 5 - too damn few! - but it seems to take away the 1s and 0s I get when working too hard to get the 5s.

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
I don't want to talk about the 40 yard challange as I am very disappointed in my performance on that one. (shame on me) I have been a little more successful on the standard 300 round. (dah, closer might just be easier - lol) Over on the Leatherwall they started a 300 thing and I went along with it for fun. After seeing several folks post scores in the 260s with hunting bows I got discouraged. Not that it can't be done, just know for sure I couldn't/can't do it.

Since I got razzed in the early going because of my equipment I decided to separate myself from the herd and shoot the 5-Spot target. That's what the Olympic recurve shooters and the compounders shoot to save arrows. It has five targets on the same size paper that are only 4 & 5 rings. If you shoot what would be a 3 on the 40 cm face you get "Zero". Makes concentration a whole new experience.

Anyway, my personal best on the 40 cm in competition (State Indoor in February) was a 271. This week I shot a 271-18X on the 5-Spot on the patio. That included three misses. Couldn't beg, borrow or steal a 25 but managed enough 24s to keep the total up. Kind of proud of this one as that 5-Spot is tough for a barebow shooter.

By the way, this was with a Spigarelli 2001 VBS riser (weighted down) and Hoyt Vector limbs pulling around 40# at my draw. Arrows are Easton X7 2214s left full length with 100g points and 4.18" FlexFletch vanes.

Dave

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Hats off, DA. I have had so few 270+ 300s that I am just blown away when someone does it barebow, and I am pretty much a solid 265 shooter. I saw that thread on the Wall and frankly, while I'm sure a few actually did it, seeing so many who claimed to be at 260+ just blew the credibility of the whole thing with me. I dig you about the 40 challenge - I was crestfallen after my first try, but I'm sure I will improve a lot on the next two attempts. BTW, I'm sure you would too. Your initial score shows your quality as a shooter, and this just ain't the same thing as shooting a 60 face in a 900 round.

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
Oz in OH said:
...this just ain't the same thing as shooting a 60 face in a 900 round.
Oz, you sure are right about that. The gold part of a 122cm FITA target (the 9 and 10 rings) is a little bigger than the whole 3-Ring on the 40cm Blue and White target. I'm going to try it again before my surgery on the 16th. We'll see if I can get my stuff together enough to beat my 106 from the first of the month.

As for the Leather Wall, I'm not taking any of that to seriously, even my own scores. There's a 13 year old kid who says he shot a 271 earlier and just shot a 276. Wonder why he wasn't at Louisville? (smiley face goes here)

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
DA...Amazing how all those potentional NFAA nat'l champions never show up at a real shoot let alone pull down those kind of scores with hunting weight, off the shelf equipment at even a club or local tournament. Not saying it can't be done by a few but I never have seen it and I have been around the block a time or two with this archery stuff...warf

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I tell you anyone that shoots a 270+ is a heck of a shot.:2cents:
I am more of a 230 shooter that gets lucky once in a while. To shoot much higher than that on a constant basis I would have to shoot the same bow for a while and shoot the round often.Changing bows often as I do I doubt if I will ever see a 270 and there will be few days that a 250 is in the cards.I seem to be able to stay in the 230s with about any bow that will shoot a straight arrow but it takes some doing to get into the 240s with anything that is not long and lighter weight.I don't know how some of those guys on the leatherwall thread do it with some of the short heavy bows they are shooting.:confused:

·
Barebow Recurve Shooter
4,540 Posts
James,

I would say, if you are switching bows all the time and still shooting consistant 230s you are a fine shot. I don't think I could do that.

As for those guys shooting in the 260s with 58" hunting bows, some of the rest of us have a hard time understanding it too. Like Bob said, where are they during the Nationals, or even during local league shoots? (smiley face goes here)

Dave

·
Registered
492 Posts
I shot yeaterday with a 60" 55# DAS and shot a 228 after starting with two 13's. Today I shot at 51# and started well but threw in a 14, 17 and two 18's. Also had two 22's and two 24's for a 241. I get lazy, shoot too fast, cant too far, don't pay attention, etc.
It is alot of fun to shoot and ought to improve my overall shooting if I learn to do it right.
Thanks to those who tipped me off to this practice technique!!
Jim

:)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Dave I am ok with the close stuff.That 40yds and not being able to use the arrow is something else. :) I consider myself a fair shot at my hunting ranges but shoot with guys that are better all the time. I have just shot so many bows that is does not take me but a few arrows to adjust.When you are building different stuff and buying bows too you get a lot of practice switching.One of these days I hope to settle down and just stick with one because I know my shooting would improve.I just like to play too much and since hunting has always been my main reason for messing with bows as long as I can hit deer and pigs when I need to I am ok for now. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts