Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happy to have Mr Jeffro (Jeff Davis) over today to try the Covert Hunter

Jeff and I have become friends and I look forward to shooting and hunting with Jeff in the future

Jeff made the over 4 hrs round trip to they the bow out to see if he wants to place an order

Jeff is 6'4" and has a 32+ inch draw

My arrows are cut at 29 inches and I draw 28 so Jeff was severely shortening his draw to shoot my bow

He shot the block for awhile and than we did a mini 3D with one of my target balls around my mountain to show him the lay of the land and let him get a feel for the bow

I'll let him tell you all in his own words about this very special recurve :)

We even found a shed antler

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hey Joe. Just seeing this now. I was busy emailing Sid :cheers:

Thanks for having me over. My wife thought it was crazy to make a 250 mile round trip to see " just a bow" . It was well worth the trip. I knew the bow was super fast and quiet. It looked great in the pictures but looks even better in my hands!! My biggest concern was the grip. I have heard from some that Border risers were big and blocky. This couldn't be any further from the truth. Before making the trip, I talked to Sid about grips for the Covert Hunter. I was accustomed to a low grip and was a bit concerned when this wasn't available for this riser. I was pleasantly suprised when my hand fit perfectly in the grip. SOLD!! ;)

I have shot light weight bows for target and my hunting bow is only 42#. I didn't have any experience shooting heavier bows. I found your 55# bow very easy to draw ( even though I could 'only ' draw it to 28" ) and a pleasure to shoot. I could only imagine getting it back to a normal 32 1/2" draw length :p

Thanks again for the invite

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Joe. Just seeing this now. I was busy emailing Sid :cheers:

Thanks for having me over. My wife thought it was crazy to make a 250 mile round trip to see " just a bow" . It was well worth the trip. I knew the bow was super fast and quiet. It looked great in the pictures but looks even better in my hands!! My biggest concern was the grip. I have heard from some that Border risers were big and blocky. This couldn't be any further from the truth. Before making the trip, I talked to Sid about grips for the Covert Hunter. I was accustomed to a low grip and was a bit concerned when this wasn't available for this riser. I was pleasantly suprised when my hand fit perfectly in the grip. SOLD!! ;)

I have shot light weight bows for target and my hunting bow is only 42#. I didn't have any experience shooting heavier bows. I found your 55# bow very easy to draw ( even though I could 'only ' draw it to 28" ) and a pleasure to shoot. I could only imagine getting it back to a normal 32 1/2" draw length :p

Thanks again for the invite
Jeff my arrows are 29 so you where stretching it out :)

Like I said on the other thread with your draw on a CH built for you your arrows are going to Go back in time

The SIDS really did make something special

A compact ultra efficient beautiful bow

Because it feels lighter you can go up in weight or use a lighter weight and achieve great performance

When I come up to turkey hunt I will definitely bring this bow

For shooting out of the blind this bow should be ideal

I am going to make up some 340's with big tree sharks , it will be like throwing an axe at them :)

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats awesome! definitely my next bow, but I am still content with my BB2's on my DAS.
I am very happy with my Hex 6's to .......... But :)

The neat thing about this bow is that it is a fixed limb bow that goes from split Finger to three under with out a complaint

will shoot different spined arrows well

very easy bow to tune and shoot

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
JP what is the length of this bow? Could not find the different length's on Sid's site's.Thx Brian
this bow is a 60" on a 17" riser.

we are making the covert hunter in 3 limb lengths. and a wide range of riser lengths. 17", 19",21",23" at the moment and working on a 25".
so that should give on a 17" riser 58" to a 62" up to 64" to 68" on a 23".
we are looking at xl and xs limbs too

·
Registered
712 Posts
That has the look of a horse bow - very cool Sid.

Alan

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Hey JP, did you swap out the limb dampers? I ask because I heard Border does not recommend using stick-on dampers as it can mess up the finish? If I recall, the bow initially had BowJax dampers and the ones in the photos with Jeff appear to have the broadband limbsavers? Which one seems to work better for you?

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey JP, did you swap out the limb dampers? I ask because I heard Border does not recommend using stick-on dampers as it can mess up the finish? If I recall, the bow initially had BowJax dampers and the ones in the photos with Jeff appear to have the broadband limbsavers? Which one seems to work better for you?
Hi J

Yes I switched them out to the Broadbands

I prefer limbsavers products

I have not go pared the bow on the sound meter since the switch but its quiet either way even with out

No problems with limb finish

Just heated them gently with heat gun or blow dryer and peel off

No problem

1 - 19 of 19 Posts