Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 12 years of being in the Marine Corps my wife and I have made the family decision that it's time for me to get out so that we can settle down somewhere. Wife works remote so work wise she will relocate rather easy to Austin and I'll be job hunting starting now until I get out this summer, and my grand parents live in Georgetown so it will be nice to spend time with them. My wife is from upstate New York and neither of us have ever been to Texas. I grew up in Utah and since graduating HS bounced around from Hawaii to California and back to Hawaii. We have always said we would just pick a spot and go when the time came for me to part ways with the military life. I have some questions about generalities of living around Austin and Hunting of course if anyone minds answering? I appreciate all and any responses!

-Commute during rush hour from the round rock Area to down town Austin and vice versus?

-Is their a toll for highway use?

-Avg cost of utilities winter/summer?

-Property tax cost?

-What is a comfortable salary to live on? I realize this is open to interpretation, I would consider my wife middle class fancy if that helps. We have always lived on base in mil housing, so having a stand alone home with a yard big enough for the kids, me to shoot my bow, a decent garage etc will be AWESOME!

-How does hunting in Texas generally work? I have looked at the state website but doesn't lead me many places to figure anything out. I am used to public land western hunting in Utah, Colorado and California. Am I going to have to pay hundreds of dollars to go hunt ranches, knock on doors, or get to know a guy etc?

-Aranges around Austin? 3d or indoor. I shoot traditional.

-Long distance shooting ranges? Love shooting club level PRS matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
You picked one of the most expensive areas of the state to move to. I read yesterday that the median cost of a home in Austin is $348,000. They also are in very short supply. The property taxes in the Austin/Georgetown area are double what I pay on a home that would sell for perhaps $450K in that area. My sister in-law had a newer 2,000 sq. ft. home and was paying over $7000 per year in Georgetown. That was four years ago. I've heard that it is worse now but haven't heard a number. Traffic during rush hour is maddening. Most people that can use the toll roads do so because the alternative is so much more time for their commute. Utility costs are not bad. Just be aware that some neighborhoods around Dripping Springs are propane gas and the home are not allowed to install electric heat due to deed restrictions. My daughter lives there and uses portable electric heaters because the propane gas utility is simply unaffordable. As for income needed for a comfortable lifestyle...maybe 125-150K household income. You are competing with a lot of high income techies. Hunting is tough. There is some public land that you can hunt but it is limited. Most all hunting is on private property that is leased. Hunting leases are hard to come by and good ones become available rarely. Be prepared to spend between $2500 and $4000 a year for a spot on a lease. You may want to join texasbowhunters.com and do a search or two about hunting. The people in Texas are great with the exception of Austin. I've never seen more nuts in one place in my life. Austin is very liberal. They have voted to defund the police to a level that our governor and legislature is stepping in to take control of the policing away from the city. Personally, I avoid that place like the plague.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would reconsider Texas -- has the lowest percentage of public land in the West making most hunting opportunities expensive. If I wanted warm I'd pick NM or AZ, if I didn't mind a little winter I'd pick ID, MT, WY, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a son that lives in the Austin area. It is very liberal in that area of the State. There are a lot of deer, pigs and exotic animals in the Hill Country but I don't know the cost of hunts down that way.

www.texasbowhunter.com is a good resource. My handle there is dfwpi.

Buying a house there, pm me, I am a Realtor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
finger shooter
3,370 Posts
I’m an hour south of Austin. Check out the veterans benefits in Texas. I’m retired military, I’m 100% disabled. I get free hunting, my property tax is zero.... under 100% gets a break on property taxes. I bought a house on acreage, not a lot but we take nice deer and turkey every year. I also bought a small ranch of 55 acres out by Rocksprings using the Texas Veterans Land Board, they help vets buy land with reasonable mortgage rates. I avoid Austin. Lol. There are several shops with indoor ranges, Archery Country in Austin and an outdoor range/club Austin Archery. Another good shop in Georgetown I think it’s Double G.

Cost of living is highest in Austin, Dallas and Houston but outside those areas is much better. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After 12 years of being in the Marine Corps my wife and I have made the family decision that it's time for me to get out so that we can settle down somewhere. Wife works remote so work wise she will relocate rather easy to Austin and I'll be job hunting starting now until I get out this summer, and my grand parents live in Georgetown so it will be nice to spend time with them. My wife is from upstate New York and neither of us have ever been to Texas. I grew up in Utah and since graduating HS bounced around from Hawaii to California and back to Hawaii. We have always said we would just pick a spot and go when the time came for me to part ways with the military life. I have some questions about generalities of living around Austin and Hunting of course if anyone minds answering? I appreciate all and any responses!

-Commute during rush hour from the round rock Area to down town Austin and vice versus?

-Is their a toll for highway use?

-Avg cost of utilities winter/summer?

-Property tax cost?

-What is a comfortable salary to live on? I realize this is open to interpretation, I would consider my wife middle class fancy if that helps. We have always lived on base in mil housing, so having a stand alone home with a yard big enough for the kids, me to shoot my bow, a decent garage etc will be AWESOME!

-How does hunting in Texas generally work? I have looked at the state website but doesn't lead me many places to figure anything out. I am used to public land western hunting in Utah, Colorado and California. Am I going to have to pay hundreds of dollars to go hunt ranches, knock on doors, or get to know a guy etc?

In the long run we decided to give Spain another chance :) Texas is boring and much too expensive. And the climate is aweful. At the moment we are planning to buy something here.
After reading such stories I start envying people who work online as freelancers because for them moving from one place to another is as simple as possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts