Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I bought Pam a high end Tribike this winter ZOYKS they are expensive. They are pretty darn cool though - 90% of the darn thing is carbon.

Good news is I bought it from a sponsored rider so I got it for pennies on the dollar. ;-)

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Yep, very cool, thanks.

Rasyad

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rasyad, with those two ideas. Just Imagine!

Additive machining just tickles my imagination

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I bought Pam a high end Tribike this winter ZOYKS they are expensive. They are pretty darn cool though - 90% of the darn thing is carbon.

Good news is I bought it from a sponsored rider so I got it for pennies on the dollar. ;-)

Matt
So sponsorship does pay off then 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
738 Posts
Down side is you couldn't nip to the shop for a pint of milk on a 7k bow :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree. It is great technology and a step forward. Mountain bikes are the other vice of mine apart from archery and I have owned Yeti dual suspension bikes that cost $5000 and I currently have a single speed steel frame hardtail that cost $2500 that I put together (bought the components separately - not built the steel frame).

I get the strength benefits and the idea of full in-house production One thing that always made me laugh when I hear people talk about a new part for the bike is that they spent twice as much and got a 15% weight saving.

If I wanted to lighten up my bike I would take a dump before I ride or lose weight :)

And like Sylvan said what benefit would be gained.. I see they talk about the vertical strength and I guess that is important for downhill but I would want to know the lateral strength. what I mean by that is how badly does the frame flex side to side when I pedal. If they stiffen that up then more of my energy is transferred into pedalling force and not lost in frame flex.

I would rather spend money on a decent frame and higher spec'd components like running gear and suspension.

·
赛
614 Posts
I built my first mountain bike - frame up - from a derelict Schwinn Paramount frame back in 1971.

Fast forward.

The Irish, natch, are about six jumps ahead . . .

Here's a link - http://woodelo.ie/philosophy/

This continues to be inspirational for me for many reasons as I work on the design and build of my wood (not phenolic-wood, not carbon-wood, but wood-wood) FITA barebow riser. All that glitters is not metal shavings.

Regards,

Salskov

Reactions: Orla

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
My old Trek Antelope is still in one piece so I'm not in the market for a new bike. That 7K bike is awesome but I'd have to up my car insurance just to haul it. All the $titanium$ adds up and Petrovic has the right idea.:)

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
3d printed risers would definitely be interesting .. No out of align risers I imagine. One question could you be more radical in riser design or is it rather more of a case of another production method that could offer tighter tolerances?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts