Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,788 Posts
MBB is great. I have (or had) the first two, plus Modern Traditional. I loaned one (not sure which) to an old archery coach of mine, who left town with it. I will probably have to buy another copy. They really helped me get started and I should re-watch them.

The books that are really helping me now are not necessarily traditional, but address form which is common to all archery. They are Kisik Lee's Total Archery - Inside the Archer, and Ray Axford's Archery Anatomy. I have almost finished my first time through Archery Anatomy, which unlike Total Archery, I am reading from front to back. I skip around Total Archery since it is setup as small chapters, each addressing a single element of form, as taught at the National Training Center.

I recently purchased Anthony Camera's Shooting the Stickbow. It appears to be a really good reference book. I may have gotten more out of the form sections if I had purchased it when I was starting out, and before I started on my current form path. I am sure I will get a lot out of it. Everything you can imagine is in there somewhere.

Haywood's and Lewis's Archery, Steps to Success is a pretty good book for the beginner. I have read it cover to cover many times. It covers the basics pretty well but I was very surprised that it does not address the hook. I am not sure how you can have an archery book that does not discuss how to hook the string.

·
markliep
687 Posts
For form Rick McKinneys book The Simple Art of Winning - it's for oly form but apart from the anchor point difference it covers most of what's needed regardless of what you're shooting - M

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,788 Posts
For form Rick McKinneys book The Simple Art of Winning - it's for oly form but apart from the anchor point difference it covers most of what's needed regardless of what you're shooting - M
Another good one. I had forgotten about it. It was the first archery book I bought. I will have to find my copy.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
No doubt, the MBB series of videos and YouTube...specifically Jimmy Blackmon's tutorials, gave me the most help. I'm reading Howard Hill's "Hunting the Hard Way" and Fred Bear's "The Archer's Bible" right now. I've gained some pretty cool insight from them but actually started reading them more for the nostalgia than the learning. Win/win.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Shooting the Stickbow is far and away the best reference I have. The MBB series is good, but does not contain the depth of the book and assumes the archer has good basic form to begin with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.