Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bob makes some great stuff. Does he have his now shop up and running yet?

·
Banned
548 Posts
That's good news for those looking for other risers with the DAS connection. Especially custom options.

I'm confused about the following statement though.

"We just recently received permission from David Soza to make our riser to accept his DAS limb attachment system."

Doesn't 3Rivers own that design now?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sylvan: Dave Soza is currently in a very nice situation for himself and is doing well with his life including employment, health and personal status. I spoke both with him and Bob and mentioned to Dave that Bob wanted to use his connection system but wouldn't without Dave's go ahead. Apparently they talked. As far as I know the system is not patented but Bob is a gentleman and would not do any of Dave's innovations without first talking to him.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I'm still working on the thumb screw, I really don't like the looks of it on our wood or metal riser, So I have a question? What I have tried and like the way it works and looks is a allen bolt that is encapsulated in the riser and is screwed tight with an allen wrench though a hole in the riser Looks nice and clean, but you will need a allen wrench? Any ideas???

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Bob I did that on one of my early DIY WARFS (a Martin Lynx) it worked really well. It is really visually unobtrusive.

The wrench is not a big deal most of us using ILF/Das limbs wind up carrying one of the folding combo ones in our hunting bag/pouch anyway. Besides we rarely actually disassemble/reassemble the bow in the field. And when we do we usually are in a time and place where we can take a little care. I carry a stubby racketing screwdriver with 3 or 4 hex and screwdriver bits in its head. I keep one and a bow stringer in the pouch of all my quivers, along with extra string, arrowhead, and the &s.

I did wind up putting a hardened washer between the bolt head and the alloy of the bow because I was a little concerned about wear on the softer cast Al of the riser. I actually glued the washer to the riser. I also carried an extra bolt just in case I dropped one of them in the snow or leaves.
A relieved shank and a slot similar to the ones on the original DAS see to hall "capture" the thumb bolt might make sense, though most Allen cap screws are hardened to some extent I think.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Thanks Wayne, I think that is the way I'll go, the screw is inside the riser so your not going to drop or loose it, just need a wrench...
We will also be able to retro our existing ILF risers to this system.

Bob

·
Bart Harmeling
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wayne's idea sound good, but perhaps you could send one to me for some field testing. :^)

Will the retro be something that you need to do in your shop, or can owners do it themselves?

·
Registered
360 Posts
My personal experience here. I have hunted Africa numerous times each time with either a bolt down or the DAS. I like to be able to dismantle my bow easily each day after the hunt for the journey "home". Allen key is just a pain to find when you need it the most! Even though I am not a big fan of ILF but I have now resorted to using this connection system for my next hunts in Oz and Africa. The Thumb screws on the DAS is slightly slower but is still much preferred than carrying an Allen key. Just me! Maybe a smaller and compact thumb screw?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Rusty that is what it. with ILF it is what we have now. With DAS we will need the hole though the riser and a different insert in the riser.

Retro for most, will need to be done here. It is not impossible for someone to do it themselves. Involves machining a pocket under the insert and a elongated hole though the riser.
With a bolt down a wench is needed. The trouble with a bolt going clear though the riser is it will have to be longer than the DAS thumb bolt, which requires the slotted hole in the riser to be longer in the riser to allow bolt to move when limbs are backed off.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Bob, PM me when you are set up to do the retros, I'll send you the short solid phenolic ILF to retro to DAS. Of all my Morrison risers that is the one I use the most and I converted that early set of F/C LB limbs to DAS a couple years back for my Gen 1 DAS, being able to switch them back and forth between the DAS and the off-the-shelf Morrison shorty would be REALLY sweet.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts