Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you typically shoot the same arrow regardless of whether you are shooting a 3D tournament or an indoor tournament?

Logically, I would think a much heavier, maybe even with longer fletchings and maybe 4 instead of 3 for indoor just to slow it down and raise the point on, where as for outdoor one needs a faster arrow.

I am currently playing with 463gr for outdoor as they fly very well even out to 70 meters (yeh, that is a looong shot), but the gap at 20 yards is pretty big. Should I play with heavier arrows or simply learn the gap for shorter distances, especially when shooting indoors?

Thanks,

Alan

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
I used heavier arrows for indoors with my longbow. Went with 190 gr tips and heavier spine and shafts. Got my point on to the bottom of the paper, as opposed to a 1" gap at the tip of the arrow with my lighter field arrows. Thanks to Paul at Elite Arrows for helping me find the right combo!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used heavier arrows for indoors with my longbow.
Ren, what are you using outdoors?

Alan

·
finger shooter
3,439 Posts
Elite arrows (of course) 55# spine, 100 gr tips at 30.5" length with 3 x 4" feathers. They weigh 495-497 gr's .... I am shooting a 43#@28 and with my 30.5" DL I am guessing that's pushing 50#'s on the fingers. That puts my point on at 37 yards with my high anchor (3 under), am experimenting with split finger for field to get my point on out a bit further.

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
I made the choice long ago to shoot the same arrows for all the target games. I want to be an all rounder, able to shoot well for any purpose and any distance. By now I have shot so many thousands of arrows that I do not want to present my eyes or mind with the need for new sight pictures.

I do shoot different bows of different weights, but I tune arrows for each to fly the same trajectory from the same sight picture out to 60 yards. I practice mostly field archery so the long distances are important to me.

I have some combinations that are exceptions to this but I don't shoot them as well or as often. But my subconscious tries to bring even those around. I once shot a little 30 pound youth bow for time while healing up an injury. It shot its light arrows to a point-on range about 7 yards less than my standard. But every couple of days it reached out a little farther. After a month it was hitting the full distance on a good day, if my muscles were supple. My mind and eye were doing their best to bring it up to their expectations. The little bow that could.

I put a scare into one of the best archers in the state with it. He was just off two big 3D victories and I led him through about 30 targets with a little 50 year old youth bow. - lbg

Reactions: aerosenfield

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,698 Posts
So Alan, how are you shooting your bow to get 70 meters? I would have to shoot split and anchor fairly low, especially with my heavy 495 grain wood arrows with the 5 inch feathers (I have not gotten my lighter arrows tuned yet). I will have to be prepared for that shot for the upcoming NFAA field tournaments. I probably won't practice it since there is only one and it is low % and I cannot afford to break many more arrows sighting in. Up until this year, most of my practice shots were 70 meters because I was shooting FITA barebow. It seems like a lot further away with the smaller NFAA targets, wood arrows and a longbow. 70 meters was my best distance. I need to transfer some of that mojo to my longbow.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bow is an Omega Imperial 42#@30". My DL is around 29.5". My arrows are Sitka Spruce cut 30 1/2", 100g tip, 4" feathers, weighing around 510g, spine 58/59#.

High anchor, 25 yd point on, set up for IBO 3D. Short gaps, but between 20 and 30 yds the arrow drops like a rock, so distance estimation is crucial.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I get it. All or most of these "games" are of European origin or use the metric system for measurement purposes. Also this is a world wide network so I understand the use of metric measurements. However here in the U.S. we use the inch, foot, yard etc. measuring system. I would be a great help to us in the U.S. if the metric system figures were translated to the foot yard system for us. Particularly for us of the older generations i.e. pre WWII infants, baby boomers [1940's } etc. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hank,

I wouldn't put much into my technique as I am still figuring out arrows and have been shooting at a practice FITA field. Anyway, with that being said, I am using 3 under and have started using a longer anchor as suggested by LongBowGuy; index finger under the cheekbone with my thumb under my jaw. I am still working on the gap above at that distance, but the good news is my last shot last weekend with the 463gr arrow flew OVER the target! lol.

Alan

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Metric vs. Imperial countries:

·
Super Moderator
2,771 Posts
Cyrille, I don't think the world is likely to switch to Louisiana standards. For measuring alligators maybe. I even make my gumbo with the quicker French style roux and not the slower Times Picayune style. I'm surprised Louisiana has not gone metric; it was developed in France. - lbg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts