Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the moon affect your accuracy? Well it certainly has a huge affect on mine. I just got this Moon riser and its a blast to shoot. I set it up with my 30# TT blackmax limbs, a string from Daryl Merrill and a Spig ZT rest with a cheap cartel plunger. I'm still working on the tune, but its a shooter! Charts call for a full length 1816, but my 1916 with 75gr tips are shooting very nicely. I only have 2 1916 shafts, not sure if I should buy more, or buy some 1816's?
Also interesting the Moon limb bolts dont have very many threads. They use a set screw in the bottom of them to lock them. It doesn'? appear to me that there is much room for adjustment. I bought this riser used, not sure if there is any manual available?
thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Kenn, For me, a lot of the fun of archery is in the testing and experimenting. Bareshafting and playing with point weight and shaft length, Brace, nock location are all enjoyable. Afterwards, recording all that for "posterity" is also part of it. Enjoy!

Tom

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Ken, I checked the bolts of mine (yours in reverse :) ) for Hank. IIRC, there are six turns of thread on the bolt. This is max engagement of the bolt in the threads of the hole. After that there are 5 more turns to full in- so max to min difference is 5 turns. The Best is rated at -3% to +10% of limb weight i.e. 13% weight adjustablity.
The weight of the riser will affect arrow spine, more weight stiffens an arrow.

I used to shoot 30# limbs with 1916 arrows either 30 or 31" with 82 grain points.

The only improvement to your kit that I'd suggest is a Shibuya DX plunger and relegate the Cartel to the spares bag. I used one happily for long enough but the smooth feeling when you compress a Shibuya is light years away from the scratchy feeling of a Cartel.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried a lighter point and a heavier point and the results showed stiff/weak as suggested. Seems the first point I chose was ideal. I checked its a 100gr screw in, not 75gr as I had typed earlier. I haven't touched the plunger at all and its tearing a perfect hole from 3-30ft with a BS. I think this plunger will be fine for indoor Aiden, and I will save my money for a beiter for outdoor. I really think I could replace the spring with a tooth pick and the tune wouldn't change. The whole plunger thing is still a mystery to me.

·
8,512 Posts
Ken, I found the Spigarelli Secuributton, as recommended by Buejeger, to be fine. Same micro-adjustment as a Beiter and considerably less $$.
Can't say anything against the Beiter- except that I have spent it's price trying different cheaper ones and not finding enough of them up to scratch.
I use a Shibuya for indoors where once set up it won't need adjustment and a Secuributton for outdoors where I may wish to play with tuning.

·
8,512 Posts
Yes, it is! It's got string silencers.

:D

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it is! It's got string silencers.
Ya like those? I had to do something to take some of the twang out of it. Wish they were Dyna puffs, but they are just wool from the store. They will ball out the more I shoot it.

that's not a traditional bow....get off the forum.
:lol:

·
Super Moderator
2,751 Posts
I loves me 1916s. A tough versitile shaft that will tune to many bows. A bit heavy for that draw weight. If you want to consider alternatives look at 1913 and 2014. They are longer than 1816 which may be of value to you. - lbg

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
+1 on the Spig Secuributton, love mine so much I bought another. Awesome plunger and I actually prefer the scale to the Beiter, easier to read when stringwalking.

-Grant

·
8,512 Posts
Ken, one after-thought, I'm not sure the string silencers would be legal at a FITA shoot. As they would affect tuning it's not a case of just taking them off for the shoot. The degree of affect I don't know.

As for twang, play with BH and tiller.
For SW I was up around 9" with Samick and Winstorm limbs. Tiller, zero to start. Go down, changing NH back. Then up.

However, set tiller to zero to play with BH first as this avoids NH changes during the BH changes. Find a good BH then play with tiller. Everwood suggested to me there may be 2 or 3 good BH's in the range from v. low to v. high, and to check which gives the tightest groups. I think higher is generally preferred.

For tiller I reckon you've two choices:

Either the riser to remain static vertically as you draw (static tiller) or balance the power stroke (dynamic tiller). I opted for dynamic tiller to give a reasonably quiet shot.

Light arrows and fast limbs are not going to be as quiet as the same but with heavier arrows.

These are my conclusions after recent faffing around, and with more to do.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the heads up Aidan, here is what I found.

Response from the Technical Committee:
It is the majority opinion of the Technical Committee that String Silencers (sound or
vibration dampening devices that attach to the bowstring) are legal in the following
divisions and with the following restrictions.
Any String Silencer attached to the bowstring of the Long Bow and Instinctive Bow
divisions must be placed a minimum distance of 12 inches (30.5 cm) above or below the
nocking point. For the Compound Bow there are no restrictions.
String Silencers are legal in the following divisions:
· Long Bow division;
· Instinctive Bow division;
· Compound Bow division.
String Silencers are not legal in other divisions.

Guess I need to determine what division I would be shooting in. I would like to shoot "instinctively" but its been made clear that even in that division people are gapping. So I would have to see how close to point on I am and if I can make a go of it. My preference would be to string walk, so Im point on.

Reactions: Greysides

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
With Fita 3D, Gapping or Instinct at those short distances (max 33y) no real advantage to either method, it's more down to the shooters skill level in my opinion.

New Fita 3D Instinctive Bow division I was told by two seperate sources it will be changed from Split finger to Facewalking/Stringwalking but Wood only Risers/bows, I've not seen offcial WA ruling yet, just a heads up.

Nice looking Riser you have, it's on my short list of new risers, just waiting for offcial ruling from WA.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, the moon does affect your accuracy. In my college physics class we actually calculated the effect of the moon regarding gravitational attraction.....it has the same effect as your labrador retreiver sitting beside you....given a standard size lab, though....my dog is old and I've not spared his food bowl.....his mass is higher than most....
If I were you, I'd think about it ...just before release....
D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts