Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Nikon binos but I found them too heavy.

I think a monocular would be lighter and give me the same service.

What monocular of the same quality do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I have the Zen-Ray 10-42 monocular which is fine for 3D and Field HERE is the link.

The quality is great for the price ($145).

Rasyad

Reactions: curve39 and Locomo

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
I've got a cheapo Winchester-branded green rubber armored 12x25 monocular. Works surprisingly well and has survived almost 10 years in rain, cold, heat, etc. The one Rasyad linked looks like a very nice monocular. The 42mm lens ought to make for a nice bright view. The little 25mm lens on my Winchester isn't the brightest, but it works well enough for me. Not bad for $20.

·
Barebow recurve
947 Posts
I prefer 8x as it is difficult to hold 10x and greater without a jiggly picture. One trick if all you can get is 10x is to put your bow on your foot and hold the mono/bino against the bow when viewing, using your bow like a monopod.

I really like monoculars too. Very compact, fits in a quiver or pocket. Great for hikes and wilderness trips too.

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I find my range finder works well ;-)
But I thought you were a "don't know, don't care" kind of guy?

As for binos/monos: I'd rather have 10x42mm or even 50mm and heavy. Much like a bow more mass really slows down the picture. I don't feel them even at the end of the day with a padded strap.

-Grant

Reactions: curve39 and Locomo

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Im looking to upgrade, my 8x32 nikons just dont show me much at 3d distances. They are light, but not good for anything else. I was thinking bigger objective and more power. :D The idea of a mono sounds great, and I could use it with my non aiming eye. First time I tried binos it screwed me up big time. I have since figured out to guess yardage first, then look at the target. If I view the target first, it screws with my mental yardage estimation.

Reactions: curve39

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
I have used a cheap monocular for 2 years now for 3 D. Distances only out to 25-30 yards. But, it works great. Light weight and only needs one hand. Can hold the bow in my left and monocular in my right. Easy, peasy.

If I was shooting field? I'd invest in a good monocular and be good to go.

Reactions: curve39
1 - 14 of 14 Posts