Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those using monofilament as a center serving, what is the minimal poundage you would use? I tried 30lb .023, but it was too thick for my nocks. I've never used it before, but was suggested to try it by a handful of people. 25lb might work, but would that be too much risk in breakage?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
All I've heard about it is that when it goes it goes completely, can't be tied off. So an identical spare would be essential. I think MartinO uses it.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking flourocarbon would be the end game. I was trying some cheap mono just to get what diameter I needed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Black Brownell monofilament No. 216. It measures 0.0216". I used it on my fastflight 16 strand strings for 16 years. Held up to 70 pound compound, but I competed at 60 at about 280 fps. Used single nock set. It starts off kind of big then square's off, sizing down to nocks. Flatten out. So make sure your nock set is right on, if not find it then reserve. I had a serving let go in a big shoot, thankfully I had a second string in the truck.

Back then we pushed things to the edge to get speed and the best release. I still think it's the best for that. But you have maintainable factor. Good luck
Dan

PS. I THINK, but don't know for sure, you can get .018" for 21 strand string.

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
BCY Monofilament Centre Serving - the original traditional centre serving. BCY Monofilament nylon bowstring serving thread No 21 .021" diameter 100 yard per 1 oz jig spool, 28lbs break strength, black.

Uses - Suitable for centre serving. Mono is the favourite centre serving of Michele Frangilli, one of the top FITA recurve archers in the world.

Features - A limp, easy to use serving that allows a lubricated release for better accuracy and easy to match nock fit. It is inexpensive and very slick. It is also quite hard and has a low breaking point. Mono prevents nocks from fitting too tightly, to get the right "snap" of the nock on the bowstring. Some archers still prefer monofilament because of the consistent diameter and the "sharp" way the nock leaves the serving. The best priced serving on the market.

Specs

Material composition - Monofilament nylon

Diameter - .021"

Approximate breaking strength - 28lbs

Spool size - 100 yard jig

Colour - black

Recommended as a centre serving

Recommended to use silicone wax to penetrate through the serving into the fibres below which are tightly compressed to assist in improving durability.

Reactions: wallyworldmudhen

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Grey, you might be right that BCY was originally the traditional serving. I was just reading what I had on a spool that I have had forever. Either way I think it's all the same. Actually before I used mono I used dacon thread, serving on several layers, then as you stated us silicone or Teflon mold release. Worked slick in the rain.
Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts