Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would wager that Trad archers have way more money invested in bows, than do the compunders.

I base this premise on Trad archers, in many/most cases have multiple bows, where the componders are more likely to have just one or two.

How much money, would you guess Trad archers hove in their equipment?

·
Bart Harmeling
3,384 Posts
Seems like I bought more things when I shot compounds. Rests, releases, range finders and so on. When I switched to a recurve that was my only bow for a long time and the only reoccurring expense was new arrows as needed. Lately, I've acquired a stable of bows, but mostly Warfs and used equipment. Longbows and recurves seem to hold value where yesterday's compounds aren't worth much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Funny You should ask. I was shooting a few bows the other day in the house. I took a short break and was drinking some coffee.

I glanced over at the 4 bows I had been shooting. 2 Black Widow recurves, a Centaur L/B and a Toelke Whip. In my head I estimated a little over $5,000 just for the 4. Needless to say it's not the only four bows I own.

bretto

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Less than 500.00 and I currently own 2 LB's and four warfs. I trade for what I have and work for the limbs or other stuff I have. I pass on things and get things passed to me.

Listen to this because it is true; If you give freely, you will be given to! You must get past looking at those things you have extra and thinking it is mine and I'm keeping it because I want to hoard it even though I do not use it or need it. Bite down on that emotion and find a worthy recipient and send it to them.

You will get it back at least seven fold, may be a while but that is the way it works.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
From a security point of view, it is not a good topic to discuss on a public forum. A lot of what we talk about, and show, is not good for security reasons. I just went through my annual security briefing. Unfortunately, it is a constant battle to fight off internet attacks, many of which, you do not even know are occurring.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'd think the inherent long term value of stickbows vs. compounds has something to do with it.

It's easy to rationalize hanging on to recurves and longbow once you have them, not so much with compounds. Buy a nice used recurve or longbow, take care of it, and it will hold it's value pretty well. Compounds just keep depreciating to the point it's not even worth selling them. It doesn't take more than a few years for a compound to be almost disposable...even though it still shoots as well as it ever did and generally as well as the new ones.

I rarely shoot it anymore but still have my trusty Hoyt EltraElite hanging on the wall. I really doubt the new Hoyts shoot significantly better, and yet my 2007 bow would only bring a couple of hundred bucks in the classifieds, three hundred if I got lucky. I'd be paying $1500+ to buy it's new replacement (bow only) and while I'm sure it's a dandy bow I doubt it's that much better than the UE.

After the initial depreciation stickbows really don't seem to loose any value. Some of the bows we are shooting today might be worth quite a bit of money someday when the bowyers start to retire. Original Schafer Silvertip recurves made by Paul before his death are highly sought. Some of the bowyers working today are artisans of a very high level, their work will someday be the "Classics". I might not be around to capitalize on it, but I think that in time a Norm Johnson Blacktail, or a Dave Windauer Silvertip, or a Dale Dye recurve, or any of several other individual bowyers bows will be highly desirable and sought after collector items. I have my name on the bows made for me and I hope that someday after I'm gone someone will take them hunting with my name still on them, will they know who I was and how long I saved up for that bow?

I look at the stickbows on my wall and see monetary value locked up in a useful item. Most have been bought used and I know I could sell them for at least what I paid for them. The three that I've bought new would show a depreciation were I to try and sell them right now, but I have no intent of doing that. When I go and I pass my bows on to someone else, at that time I'd wager that all of them will be worth significantly more than I paid for them.

I look at my compound and see a great shooting bow that to a great degree is simply disposable, at least as far as market value. When I go I'd imagine it will be nothing more than a conversation piece, or end up in a dumpster as a ridiculously outdated antique.

Some things are disposable, some things aren't. Stickbows are a lot like firearms, most will be around longer than their original owner.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Actually I agree with Hank. Our house got broken into and we lost a serious chunk of cash. Fortunately they didn't go after the bows.

Anyway, I don't think it is something that can be generalized. With very few exceptions compound shooters MUST purchase their equipment. But in Traditional that is not always the case. Finished an Osage self bow a while back. Stave cost me $70. Finished a board bow. $6. Was just given a bunch of shafts, $0. Right now my biggest expense is the fletching. So those who go for Primitive gear spend almost nothing. But even those who build modern laminated bows their costs are extremely low compared to compound shooters.

So I know not every body builds their own stuff here, but there are enough of us that the numbers are seriously skewed.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I look at my compound and see a great shooting bow that to a great degree is simply disposable, at least as far as market value. When I go I'd imagine it will be nothing more than a conversation piece, or end up in a dumpster as a ridiculously outdated antique.
Oh heck no! Warf that thing, THEN it will be worth something.

:)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Oh heck no! Warf that thing, THEN it will be worth something.

:)
Warf my custom UltraElite, I think not...:brickwall:

I know it's not a stickbow, but take a look at this beauty, it's ok to admit you really wish you were here to give it a spin...;)

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Way to damn much :sbrug:

Also too many guns knives, old trucks and WAY WAY WAY too many books.

I'm a collector, not a pack rat, or hoarder.;) at least I keep telling myself that:p.

I started collecting Martins and Hoyts, then got into Warf's and my first DAS. I have winnowed the collection on occasion, seldom on a break-even basis though. Too many are higher poundage from before my shoulder went bad and much over 50-55# seems almost unsellable any more. ever fairly rare collectable bows are hard to move no in the current economy.:crymeariv

Oh Matt; how many fly rods and reels? VBG I forgot to add that to my list. LOL

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I currently own three recurves.
One old,one very old,and one brand new.
All of them state of the art for their intended purpose in their day.
One average new compound would eclipse all of them put together in straight dollar value and you'd still need to set in up with sights,stabilisers and all the other fruit.
One of the bonus reasons I stick with stringbows is they don't cost as much up front, they hold their value a lot longer and I don't need to constantly up grade to stay in the race.
I used to keep my old compound in plain view because I know what bow some dumb burglar would grab first if given the opportunity.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I learned that the exchange rates can play a big part in how much bows cost from Europe. The bows I bought in summer 2012 could be sold today for as much as I paid, possibly more.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Frankly you can keep that ultra thingamajig and use it to your heart's content. Me? I wouldn't touch it if you asked i9f I'd like to "check it out" just not my style... but then I prefer flint or cap lock muzzle loaders and black powder cartage rifles over the black ones that most seem to want today. Just my "druthers." is all.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Warf my custom UltraElite, I think not...:brickwall:

I know it's not a stickbow, but take a look at this beauty, it's ok to admit you really wish you were here to give it a spin...;)

Everything geometry is wrong on it for a recurve anyway.;)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have 3 recurves and two longbows. One compound. For the trad gear around $5000. For the compound around $600. I shoot mostly trad, but pull out the compound sometimes when I get bored, and need to shoot something different. As for as putting it out on the internet, I have enough guns and ammo to protect my stash. Several pistols that I know how to use quite well. If a thief comes calling, he will leave in a body bag. I take no prisoners.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts