Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the back story ....
I posted a while back that I really like the Hill style bow, but, for some reason the deep grip style doesn't like me. I shoot with a group of friends some of who shoot Hill style bows. Whenever I've shot their H H bows I get a pain in the wrist, a pain I don't get with my more rounded ELB grip. I've discussed this here and been told there are grip shape options that may suit my hand and shooting style.
Well .. I've acquired a second hand 80lb Hill style bow made by Rex Oakes here in England.It's a beautiful bow ... all Yew cores with brown glass belly and back. I haven't shot it yet (due to my back problem) but when I do, if I get the same hand pain, I'm thinking of modifying the grip to make it less deep and a little more round. I will be taking advice from Rex before any modification takes place, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts on the matter... because I don't want to spoil a beautiful bow.

Appreciate your comments

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Maybe round it then add a layer of cork and finally some fairly think leather? Cork is very effective vibration isolation.

-Grant

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
Rob Green modified a grip. I will ask him to look at this thread.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Another product that would work very well to reduce vibration would be something called Sorbothane. It's supposed to be one of the best vibration and shock reduction materials ever created.

-Grant

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys .. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions.
What I'd like to know is ... do you think reducing the depth of the grip section will affect the performance and tiller of the bow? .... that's the only part that's causing me concern.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
I don't think would be any problem. I reduced the grip on my Howard Hill to give it a locator grip a good deal deeper than the maker does. Worked fine. I was able to trim and reuse the grip leather. I trimmed the leather, liberally dampened it with Barge cement and stretched and tugged it to fit.

Another maker of straight limb American longbows is Jay St. Charles. He has small hands and makes both English style yew longbows and the American style. The latter has a much shallower and rounded grip than Howard Hill used for his huge hands. I have owned them all and had no difficulty switching among them.

You can see pix at his website pacificyew.com. - lbg

Reactions: Phil
1 - 8 of 8 Posts