Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen talk many times on not putting too many twists in a string, but is there a min number? I have heard no twist is the fastest, but is it safe to shoot them with no twist? I read a lot of posts using the search function and this is the only thing that I think mentions it.

Brownell used to pring on the backside of their B-50 string label the following info:

20-30# - 8 strands
25-35# - 10 strands
35-45# - 12 strands
45-55# - 14 strands
55-80# - 16 strands

They also recommended 1/3 of a twist for each inch of string.
Ive got a 64" string, so should it have a min of 7 twists? Oh, Im talking about endless loop, sorry.

·
Registered
619 Posts
On a 64" string i would give it about 15 twists. give or take

Reactions: kenn1320

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I understand twists for an endless loop string are there to prevent the strands from separating or ballooning outwards during the shot. That and twists help the string maintain a nice round cable shape when waxed and burnished. I don't believe it would damage the string if there were no twists in it, but even if I am trying to get the most length out of a string, I put at least 10 twists or so just to get it nice and round.

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
For the strings I make my goal is 20 twists to take it to the length I want, then string it on a bow set over night (or a week if I'm at work) to stretch. Shoot it in, then put whatever twists are needed to get my brace. I don't like to go over 45 twists I'll remake the string a tad shorter.
To many twists and the string looses it's stability from what I've heard, acts as a spring in a way and also creates more friction between the strands.

A string with no twists will rob performance might be slight but still it's loosing performance.

Chad

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I thought the twisting makes the string act as one single piece to minimize friction and wear between the strands.

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
Ive got a 64" string, so should it have a min of 7 twists? Oh, Im talking about endless loop, sorry.
Kenn, it said:1/3 of a twist for each inch of string length - why would you get 7?
Wouldn't it be more like 20?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kenn, it said:1/3 of a twist for each inch of string length - why would you get 7?
Wouldn't it be more like 20?
Steve I divided 64 by 3 and got 21.xx I figured that gave me (21) 1/3 twist so I divided that by 3 to get how many full twists. Is this a story problem, heck I don't know. Lol

What I do know is I ordered (2) strings and gave him the dimension stretched between (2) nails. He got the lengths perfect, if I don't put any twist in them. Arggggg. How much longer should they have been to get the proper twists?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
What's the brace height w/20 twists? If it's new B-50 it will stretch, right?

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the brace height w/20 twists? If it's new B-50 it will stretch, right?
Kinda hard to give BH since I shoot without a grip. However 20 twist added less then 1/8" to the BH which is now 8.875". Guess I was thinking 20 twist would be huge, but on a string with no twist it isn't much. Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
That's very good to hear; I'm guessing that 1/8" will probably get lower as the string "shoots in" - good luck!

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
I have a couple of gentlemen who order their strings with no twist to a very specific length. One of them sent me a copy of a study that was done to support the no twist idea. My computer has crashed since then and I no longer have it. However with the slow motion videos of untwisted strings have the individual strands seperating during the shot I typically use the 1/3 twist method as a minimum so that is 1 full twist for every 3 inches. Aren't word math problems fun.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I perfer somewhere around 15-20 twists for a 67" string. Then I burnish and strip it so the string is very round and uniform.
If I take the string off the bow and it tries to untwist at all then I will generally make one a little shorter.

-Grant

1 - 12 of 12 Posts