Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread piqued my interest again at looking into a compact ILF hybrid R/D longbow setup for hunting and possible competition. I own a few R/Ds, my favourite form of bow, but none ILF. The poster cites the Morrison 13" (Phoenix?) and the Sky TDX13 as riser's they've had good experiences with with XL R/D limbs. The Morrison's look perfect, but seem to be out of stock again (some problems with their machinist?), and I'm not sure I'm sold on the look of the TDX13's.

Are there any other machined 13" or 15" ILF risers out there that folk have had good experiences with? I read the best trade-off riser pocket angle for longbow limbs is about 22 degrees, but have no experience of my own to gauge that.

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
3rivers' 15" DAS riser is reportedly great with longbow limbs, and the ? older SKY ILF TDX15 (almost same thing/same design) too. Jim Belchers' BIVOUAC 15"er is maybe the same thing, as well.....it's been reported well by some of the guys on here. I've had great luck with all my Centaur & Sky longbow limbs on my 17" DAS risers, and a few various 15-17" ILF warfs. I've had great success with my 19" Hoyt Tracker warfs, both DAS & ILF.....with Centaurs & SKY longbow limbs. I DO LIKE that little phenolic 13" riser Jason shows. I'd like to try out some Javaman longbow limbs too.

Reactions: Remote

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
these old girls also run the ILF longbow limbs well. Hoyt TD-1 H16 warfed. I can't even tell you what their limb pad angles are. 16" riser, by the naming convention. more like 15" in reality.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
these old girls also run the ILF longbow limbs well. Hoyt TD-1 H16 warfed. I can't even tell you what their limb pad angles are. 16" riser, by the naming convention. more like 15" in reality.
Wow they've seen some time. Must have a great sight picture with that big open window. And that cutaway would be awesome for running short arrows with broadheads. Thanks for sharing. If I had those knocking around I'd be cleaning them up and putting on those Javaman limbs rather than buying a new riser.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VPA 13" is another option - it has limb pad angle 20 degrees and you can find on youtube videos about it with longbow limbs.
This is the sort of thing I was hoping for, TY. Had never heard of the VPAs. Not too flashy, function over form etc. Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Morrison 13” and the VPA is the same riser, one has a sight window, other does not… only difference. And like Steve said, Skytd15” and bivouac are same, the das 15” is same riser with different mounting plates for DAS connection..Toxocraft (bob Davis) made some 13” and 14” ilf risers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This thread piqued my interest again at looking into a compact ILF hybrid R/D longbow setup for hunting and possible competition. I own a few R/Ds, my favourite form of bow, but none ILF. The poster cites the Morrison 13" (Phoenix?) and the Sky TDX13 as riser's they've had good experiences with with XL R/D limbs. The Morrison's look perfect, but seem to be out of stock again (some problems with their machinist?), and I'm not sure I'm sold on the look of the TDX13's.

Are there any other machined 13" or 15" ILF risers out there that folk have had good experiences with? I read the best trade-off riser pocket angle for longbow limbs is about 22 degrees, but have no experience of my own to gauge that.
I have a 13" Morrison riser, color red, Gen3 that has been upgraded, very good condition. $275 shipped. I have two of these risers and yes they make a very good hunting bow.

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
I did not get out of the house much today, period. yikes. nightmare day on support with some rubes.
out of town appointment tomorrow, half day lost there. Might get to try a set of my centaurs on the td-1 H16 tomorrow later on or more likely TUESDAY. will report in then.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ver
TD-1 H16 I used to have DAS'd with Centaurs.
Very nice. Was it very loud without those LimbSavers? Also out of interest why did you go with those atom silencers and not whiskers or puffs? I know you definitely know what you're doing, and that there'll be a good reason. Just curious.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found this to be a good, informative and 'neutral' review of the VPA 13" with the Sky limbs, for a 56" bow. Goes right into the pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses:

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
Ver

Very nice. Was it very loud without those LimbSavers? Also out of interest why did you go with those atom silencers and not whiskers or puffs? I know you definitely know what you're doing, and that there'll be a good reason. Just curious.
I won't tolerate noise. all my longbow limbs have been pretty quiet from first string-up. I have soooo many strings I grab one that is closee until I like the brace.
They have various string silencers on them from previous owners. If I stick anything on strings it is Dyna-Puffs I still have from back when Rasyad first started us using them.....1" cuts of small Dyneema rope stuff.
Limbsavers too if they are on used limbs when I get them, ok, I've never installed them......I don't see the improvement with them. I have removed some, to see. No change. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Remote and kentucky

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
13-15" risers are best for ILF longbows, IMO. I had some discussions in the past with different bowyers and they agreed that longbow limbs generally do better with the "long limb and short riser" approach opposite of recurves since they don't have limbs that uncurl. I generally favor 13" risers with XL limbs to give me a 60" bow that I have found to wrk very well for my 27" draw.

The Phenolic 13" Morrison riser I have is not a Phoenix. I believe Morrison still makes them. The TDX13 is a bit interesting with the Harmonic Dampers. It is a neat riser with some good features like a ramped shelf and double Berger holes. It is also compatible with the DAS grips which are readily available from 3Rivers.

Dryad's Epic risers are quite nice as well and a bit more. minimalist, but still feel great in the hand and are solid and well-built. They do seem to have a steeper limb angle than the other 13" risers, so one will see more draw weight gain on these risers. I don't have any exact angles, but just looking at them and my own experience with mounting the same limbs on the Morrison, Sky, and Epic risers indicates as such.

Personally, I find the metal risers to be a tad louder than wood or phenolic. The same limbs tend to emit more post-shot vibrations or humming on my TDX13 than on the Morrison phenolic or Epic risers. I have found Limbsavers placed a little past the fades on the limb bellies to help quell the noise. I generally dislike having to deck out my bows with rubber just to get them to shoot quietly, and so, I often favor wood or phenolic or even carbon risers. Still, I have a very nice set-up with the TDX13 and Centaur XL limbs that shoots quietly and is pretty quick.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
13-15" risers are best for ILF longbows, IMO. I had some discussions in the past with different bowyers and they agreed that longbow limbs generally do better with the "long limb and short riser" approach opposite of recurves since they don't have limbs that uncurl. I generally favor 13" risers with XL limbs to give me a 60" bow that I have found to wrk very well for my 27" draw.

The Phenolic 13" Morrison riser I have is not a Phoenix. I believe Morrison still makes them. The TDX13 is a bit interesting with the Harmonic Dampers. It is a neat riser with some good features like a ramped shelf and double Berger holes. It is also compatible with the DAS grips which are readily available from 3Rivers.

Dryad's Epic risers are quite nice as well and a bit more. minimalist, but still feel great in the hand and are solid and well-built. They do seem to have a steeper limb angle than the other 13" risers, so one will see more draw weight gain on these risers. I don't have any exact angles, but just looking at them and my own experience with mounting the same limbs on the Morrison, Sky, and Epic risers indicates as such.

Personally, I find the metal risers to be a tad louder than wood or phenolic. The same limbs tend to emit more post-shot vibrations or humming on my TDX13 than on the Morrison phenolic or Epic risers. I have found Limbsavers placed a little past the fades on the limb bellies to help quell the noise. I generally dislike having to deck out my bows with rubber just to get them to shoot quietly, and so, I often favor wood or phenolic or even carbon risers. Still, I have a very nice set-up with the TDX13 and Centaur XL limbs that shoots quietly and is pretty quick.
Thanks for this. All you say makes sense re short riser, long limbs. I'd really like a 58" bow as I hunt a lot in scrub and dense undercanopy. I'm studying up on the TDX13's now, looking at options.

FWIW I shoot a Slick Stick at 50lbs (one piece), but as a hunting TD I shoot Black Hunter 55lb and 60lb hybrid takedowns. Short riser, long limbs, for a 60" bow. It's a decent shoot and due to price I don't worry knocking it around, but since looking into the 'high tech' hybrid TDs I am definitely looking to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
12,828 Posts
vpa 13 for sale on AT trad ads 275 smackers

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The black hunter longbow I had shot better than any ILF longbow combo i have tried. I would just stick with it and your Slick Stick.
Good to read someone else speak well of the Black Hunter. IMO a lot of experienced trad folk overlook it, thinking it must be garbage at the price. As I said elsewhere, it out-shoots (for me) some bows 3x or more times the price that I've tried.

Only real problems, IMO, with the Black Hunter R/D are 1) it's tough to get a tight tune 2) it's very unforgiving (torques easily due to lightness) 3) seems hard-tillered for us split-fingered shooters 4) it needs Fastflight strings, or is just too loud.

But once you have it dialed in, the thing absolutely belts.

All said, I'd like a more configurable/tunable and shorter TD R/D longbow, so this is why a metal 13" or 15" ILF riser appeals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts