Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this and only came up with something from 2007.

This topic showed up on another forum so I'll post it here and on AT.

What are your views?

Personally I don't use them but that's personal choice not performance driven.

Just for kicks & giggles I did a test today. I shot 1 arrow with an old/dull Rage 2 blade broadhead into a plywood board backed by a Block target. The bow was a 1969 Bear Super Kodiak-50# and the arrow was a Gold Tip 5575-550gr.

The shot was from 19 yards.

Here are the resulting pictures.

On the other forum there were those individuals that stated unequivocally that a mechanical is a BAD IDEA for a stickbow and wouldn't work. Some went as far as to say stickbows were toys and shouldn't be used for hunting at all, they are best used as a hobby.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 👍🇺🇸
Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
On one hand I hear people say that a traditional bow needs all it's KE for penetration and the mechanical robs some of that in it's path through the animal. I'm inclined to think that as long as it's a seriously sharp cut-on-contact from a well tuned arrow it would perform well.
One the other hand, why risk it with so many choices in quality COC broadheads that are made today? I can only think of one proponent for the Rage KE and he was banned from AT last I heard...

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
What's the need at the speeds we shoot you can get an ax head flying straight

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The stick bow as a hobby and not a hunting tool comment you heard is insane, and I understand it's not you making it but I have a bunch of animals that would disagree with them. What I will say and I am not a purist and do shoot and hunt with training wheels at times and do currently shoot mechanicals with my compound. When they first became popular I had multiple deer that I shot within 20 yards with modern 60-70lb bows where arrows actually bounced off of deer even when placed perfectly. It was as though they were hit with a blunt. I switched back to muzzys and had good success till a few years ago when the bows just started getting too fast and it seemed at least to me to be too hard to get fixed blade broad heads to fly well out of compounds. It seems (again just to me) that the fixed blades really start to plane much more above about 260-270fps. The new mechanicals do perform much better and I have had a lot of good success with them. I think that out of my hunting recurves which are liteish for most people at about 45 lbs at 30 inch draw would not be enough to get them to expand well enough and you would lose too much energy getting initial penetration. I get full pass throus on deer with woodsman elites and others that i use currently In heavier weight bows the mechanicals may work fine but with trad I always preferred heavy arrows and heavy broad heads and I don't know any mechanicals more than 125 grains as the heavy arrow always gets better penetration form my experience. That all said I don't think most modern traditional gear can move an arrow fast enough to where if well tuned the fixed blades won't fly well so the advantage of the mechanicals is largely negated unless you're choosing to not bother to tune properly in which case we are having a whole other conversation which I won't get into. just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
The biggest hog I have seen taken by any means was taken by Mike Westvang with a R/D longbow and a sharp woodsman.

We saw him several times. He was so big I was not interested. He chased me out of the woods once.

·
j-san = Jason
1,683 Posts
I know some guys who swear by them and have done very well harvesting deer every year with them, but they are all shooting fairly fast compounds. I do remember reading about a rather outspoken fellow on AT who was a strong advocate for the Rage broadhead. Seemed to work for him. Personally, I've got enough fixed CoC heads to last me a lifetime and I know they all fly like darts out of my bows, so no need to invest in that department any further.

VA Bowbender, did you break the broadhead shooting through the wood? Looks like the blades got knocked backwards??

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
If you like the rage broadheads I have 12 or 15 100gr titanium that are collecting dust ;-) I'll sell for the price of standard rages.

My opinion, mechanicals are fine out of a tuned compound. Not for me and my recurves, I'll take a coc 2,3,4 blade depending on the game.

Chad

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I shoot old Bear Razor heads.
I've never even looked at a Mech when I've been in a shop full of em'.
I don't dislike mech's but Bears work fine so I just read the stuff said about Mech's on line an laugh a lot..
It's good entertaiment,some of these guy's get pretty argumentive over em' 8^)

John.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
My own personal preference is a fixed blade and very sharp BH. I like the woodsman configuration and am able to get them very sharp. I read that Rage requires a minimum arrow speed for optimum performance… and as I'm about shot placement..traditional archery gear and not modern gear, I won't be using them any time soon.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I am a big advocate of an exit wound. With an expandable I very seldom see an exit wound on game on the shows on tv. And that's with bow providing 80+ pounds of KE.

Trad equipment is more in the area of 40. I use Woodsman BH on all game except moose and there I move to a 2 blade Tuffhead to get the extra penetration to reach the other side.

Mike

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My wheelie friends have huge success with Rage heads from their top shelf compounds. Exit wounds pretty much every time( on our smallish NJ whitetails). Less than perfect, or downright poor shots usually still result in a short, wide, blood trails and an easy recovery.

Personally I started compound hunting with thunderheads, then went to a few styles of mechs with good success but switched to Muzzy about 15 years ago. I have a lot of the older 3 blade Muzzy heads. For my trad bows Im really liking the Snuffer SS and would not consider a mech...

·
The Mad Scientist
1,495 Posts
Everyone I know who shoots a Rage says they leave killer blood trails with perfect hits. Every deer I’ve killed with a fixed blade did the same thing. If a deer goes 50 yards or 70 yards on a double lung hit does it really matter? Only a fool would choose a BH because it works well in perfect situations. What about those less than perfect shots that happen to everyone?

For everyone who swears by the Rage there are equal numbers that have had very bad experiences. I just met another guy (compound) last month who lost 2 deer last year with them and won’t ever shoot them again. There have been lots of tests showing mechanical BH are prone to failure. Those who still shoot them have lots of excuses, but you’ll never hear quality fixed blades not opening or breaking off blades. IMO mechanical BHs are a marketing ploy, and the Rage tops the list. That’s not good for the sport, but as BT Barnum said there is a sucker born every day.

They are also an excuse for poor tuning, 300 fps needs more tuning than 250, so that’s still an excuse. Another issue is they fold back up if you don’t get full penetration, so they fall out w/o causing more damage. My Stingers are sharpened on the trailing edge too, so they will cause more damage and will be more lethal if you don’t get full penetration. No one ever talks about that, but it’s a huge factor especially with larger game like elk.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
What if a trad guy used a NAP Bloodrunner. Its a fixed blade but still expands upon impact. Could be interesting.............I am still a fan of fixed bladed only for trad bows, but I dont shoot anything over 48#

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I look at it this way.

A trad bow produces x amount of energy.

A mechanical head requires Y amount of energy to open properly.

Often trad bows are considered to on the low end of energy to begin with, so why would you create a setup that subtracts any energy from the equation?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts