Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself a Martin recurve, it is a metal riser says Speed Flight on it and the wood insert looks like a Lynx so I am assuming it is a Martin Lynx. Bow was in great condition, only a small scratch in the paint finish of the riser. I'm thinking of spray painting it in a flat brown (espresso) color and transform it into a hunting bow. Overall length is 62" and [email protected], bought for the price of a dozen carbon arrows, a super deal. Anyone have any experience with this bow and am I correct in assuming it is a Lynx.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Martin has used the "Lynx" name for a bunch of different models, but i do not recall one that said "speed-flight" on it anywhere post up a pic and maybe we can figure out which it is.

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
That is indeed a Lynx.

I've had several. I still have a couple, and have one exactly like yours but in a newer model. Same color & all, although I camo painted it. :D

In the early years they did not have limb pockets, and were not cut as far past center as the one you have here, but the overall geometry, and shape of grip are the same on all of them from old to new.

They are great bows.

Reactions: Odysseus

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Nice find but at 60# I bet I know why it's in such great shape....

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Much later than any I have owned, they can be warded though SamD has done a couple to DAS. on my two the risers are pretty long. I'm not home so I don't have a way to measure the riser length but they make a nice long-draw bow. I painted mine with black spray on truck bed liner. works great

Reactions: Odysseus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Years ago Vic Wunderle used that bow to shoot his first 1300 FITA score at the age of 15. At that time he was the youngest person to ever break 1300.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I owned a Martin MTD which used two ball bearings at the pivot - is that what I see in the picture?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it does have the ball bearings, when I bought the bow, one was missing but my local hardware store had them in stock.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
that is the second generation of lynx risers. they had the same basic pocket measurements as the first one, thats why the limbs were interchangeable.
there are no limbs available any longer unless you find used ones. be aware that they do not interchange with any other model riser!! a cougar limb will not fit a lynx and vice versa.

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Hey Larry.

I never owned a Cougar, but I've owned several Lynx & Firecat pro series.
The Firecat & Lynx limbs interchange & work great.

Folks are skeptical of reflex risers, which the Firecat is, but that bow flat shoots.

I actually have one each of the 1, 2, & 3 gen Lynx risers. The Gen 3 is the one with limb pockets instead of just limb pads,
and is the one I converted to ILF using the adapter plates.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
rick, after the first lynx and cougar riser the only other one i did design work on was the firecat. i did the risers out of wood first for terry to look at and then did the mold version, also out of wood, with extra where needed for mold shinkage. a lot of work and had to be really correct. was glad when they got 6 axis mills and i did not have to do that any more!!! i had a hand crank cheap mill/drill that drove me nuts trying to get things within a thousandth. the rest i did free hand on the sander i shaped bows on.
terry sent me one of the first cougars they put together. i shot three arrows out of it and 10 years later i gave it to a teenager that came to the shop one day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts