Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see on the manual for my Pinnacle II it recommends the following brace heights;

TT recurve longs - 8"-8 3/4"
ILF longs - 8 1/2"- 9"

I am at just under 8" at the moment with Winex longs. I have not tried higher than 8 1/4" and 8" seems to be the best for me. I will see if I can twist up a string to get to 9" to see what it feels like today.

Is the 8" I use going to be a problem?

Also why the difference between the TT limbs and the ILF limbs?

As always thanks for reading and the wealth of information that is about to be posted!

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John.

What do you mean the manufacturers whim? I spoke to a bloke called John Wert about my riser a while back and he seemed very helpful.

Maybe worth while asking him? Not that I don't value your opinion!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It really does depend upon you and your set up. I shoot a Titan II, 19" metal with TT longs. Recommended brace is 7 3/4" to 8 3/4". I have it set for 8" and it seems best for me although if I go to the heavier limbs, I need to raise it just 1/8" (5 twists of the string).
I suspect this is more of a function of the arrow weight. The arrows for the 48# set up are .500 GT while the 56# set up shoots a .400 spine but they weigh the same.

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
It won't be a problem.
The difference is due to some manufacturers whim.
I start everything at 8" but usually end up lower.

John.
the BH is dependent on several things.
the angles that the limbs leave the riser at. (combination of bolt position and limb pad angle)

after that, its down to how the limb bends. and how the limb bends is related to the former shape, and the core tapers.

once completed. the overall sound of the bow is related to flatspots on the limb. and where they sit relative to the string and its tension.
for example. if you reduce the BH to 5" on a conventional limb. then the string leaves the limb at a shallow angle. this would be noisy.

the BH will change based on how the limb timing is set.
for example. the BH also dictates the finish line for the race between the two limbs. you can fine tune the final finish line location with small tweeks in the BH.

there is a range of BH's available for each bow to cover the range of differences in bows tiller and in the case of ILF, also cover the Limb bolt positions.

so overall, BH does play with alot of different aspects of the bow. and the manufacturer knows thier product best, and for that reason they have thier recomendations.

Too high a BH stresses the bow more.
Too Low and you can hit the back of your hand, and have a loud bow, either by you screaming, or the string slapping the limb.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also shoot the Pinnacle II riser, if I was you I would contact John Wert as he has been more then helpful in tuning my rig and he definitley knows his stuff. I do know in the manual it talks about if you use other ILF limbs on this riser the weights can be more then the stated limb weight, this might have something to do with the brace height difference as well. For piece of mind though I would contact John.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts