Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to review our ad budget and look at our contract with TBM for our 1/2 page ad.

I'm thinking that the print ad doesn't have as much influence as it once did with the buying public and that TBM has a pretty fixed clientele that see the ads every issue.

How do you guys feel about magazine advertising? Does it influence your buying decisions?

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts
I do not read magazines.
Practically never.
Kind of bears out your "not the influence it once was" thought.
'course I might be in the minority.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mike, I'm sure it does for some but since the Internet where everything is available online and most of it for free...I too believe the Magazine has ALOT less influence than it once had...I buy it from the newsstand but really only buy it for the articles and events, not so much the adverts.

Dewayne

Reactions: pondscum2

·
j-san = Jason
1,692 Posts
Only time I ever really read a printed magazine is while on the crapper and I often tend to forget what I read by the time I get out. In one end and out the other I suppose....

Being a tech-orientated person, my opinion would be focusing efforts on being one of the top search results on Google and other search engines. If you are among the top 5 or so results when someone searches for "longbows", "ILF", "takedown", "recurves", etc., I think that would help direct more traffic to your website and hopefully more sales. Also, fortifying the website with videos (like reviews and demo vids), educational info for new archers, links to reviews, testimonials, etc. would help make the site fun to browse and perhaps keep potential customers more engaged and interested.

·
Registered
f150
73 Posts
i read every ad in TBM. that is probably not like the average reader. to me big flashy ads
seem to imply a successful company with a quality product. you need to keep your name out there.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,686 Posts
I still subscribe to TBM, but will likely let it lapse when it comes time to renew. Ads are interesting, but become part of the background after a while. Unless they are new or advertising a new product.

·
finger shooter
3,504 Posts
Agree with the consensus here. With google and bing who needs a magazine ad? I think advertising on the net is the way to go, facebook page and a good easy to use website.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Nope, never ever refer to a mag add. When I got your limbs I looked on the website

·
Registered
173 Posts
i think i do tend to look up adds i see in the mag especially for products that are new to me. May not go back and check out the regulars btu when the add is about soemthing new and different wether its a new product for an older company or a new company i definitely go check it out as for the smaller guys SEO and the net may not be the most efficient way to be found till you get the critical mass of clicks you need.

That and i like to support all things that promote the sport so i think supporting the mag and consequently its advertisers can only help keep the community strong and hopefully growing.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I still get TBM and I do enjoy reading it. I look at the adds of companies I do business with or hope to. I am always looking for newest and greatest. If something catches my eye I will explore their website. Most archery websites I visit need lots of work. They are usually same layout which dulls my interest right away. Pics of fancy wood in bows are fine but I want more info on performance. The words, fast, smooth, forgiving, no hand shock, are always there. In today's archery world those items are expected by me. I want more tech info on the product, show me why I should be impressed.
Another IMO waste of advertising in TBM is the business card size add. They are usually lumped together on various pages with an article.
May I suggest a couple of ways to help you decide? Ask your customers ( past year or so) how they found you. Maybe go to quarter page add and use funds left from 1/2 page add to add features to your website.
Please do not take my comments as critical to you or your company. They are my observations.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I receive TBM and two other archery magazines. I do look at the ads but not to buy unless something I don't have and feel a need to own catches my eye Then I look online and order it from the website.
I also peruse printed archery catalogs

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I think we've decided to go a little different direction with our advertising next year and see how it works out.

I have polled customers and can't really remember the last time they said TBM as where the saw us. Usually it's on a forum or at a show.

At about $1000 an issue I think we can do better on return elsewhere.

Thanks again,

Mike

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The internet is the #1 place to be today.
I used to buy three different NZ Hunting and Fishing mags, but haven't done so since getting online.
The bigger shops in NZ today tend to have in house magazines they give away as junk mail,plus they all have online web sites to order directly from as well.
I think having an active presence on sites like this is very good, particularly for the higher end product.
I'd never heard of Dryad until I got online,but now it's a house hold word.
Ok that word might be "No",,,,,but I'm still working on that.

John.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I let my TBM e-mag Premium subscription run out last month....a lot of the stories were becoming repetitious for me......BUT I have been considering renewing a paper version mainly because T.J. has been letting J. Westbrock do the "Campfire Philosopher" column. I really like Mr. Westbrock's "inclusive" open-minded approach and should support that with a subscription renewal. I was also hoping that Ty Pelfry might submit some more articles.
Anyway.....regarding advertising....If an Ad catches my eye (I do notice many)...I generally follow up by going to the brand website for additional information.....as far as influence....I go off a lot on what people that I respect are playing with or shooting.....these days that means that I'm heavily influenced by TradTalk forum members....their postings...and photos...
I would think for you...Mike....your best feedback would come from the folks that have actually chosen to buy from you. Did they find you by advertising???.....word of mouth??.....etc....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.