Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range I pulled out my analog bow scale, one I'd bought when in the US years ago. An Oly archer saw me measuring my bow and said "I wouldn't trust that much. I've got the same and when I bought a good digital scale I found that all my bows were 3 pounds heavier than I thought".

Office supplies Silver Font Metal Nickel

Writing implement Pen Office supplies Marker pen Font

I guess I could find something that I know is, say, 20lb, and see if it matches what the scale tells me (starts at 15lb), but any loss of accuracy might not be linear - springs don't wear out that way.

I've always trusted this scale. Anyone have anything to share as to its accuracy? Any reliable digital scales I should check out? I forgot to ask the archer which he had and trusts.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Worth mentioning I used to have a digital scale for luggage, which I used just about every month for work but also on my bows. Problem was it sucked to draw a bow with it and so I stopped using it due to it being innacurate that way.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use an X-spot scale, digital, and unreliable as heck, I scale bows several times with it getting several different readings, so I use the most frequently gotten reading.
Then I OFTEN verify it with my spring-scale hanging Pelouze (Rubbermaid) scales which, even if it were inaccurate, are at least always consistent... and I HaVE verified it with YORK plates so it is ON at 45#, and is adjustable too..
Awesome thanks Steve. Looking up that Pelouze.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
York barbell weights can easily a few pounds off.
I’ve had good luck with these and recommend to everyone and they always get good feedback. Cheap enough if you lose it or damage it no big deal. Weighing recurves up to 50# so far. I’ve read some mixed reviews for compounds but do t have any experience. I have 3 and they are all within .2lbs. Probably user error.
First one I’ve been using for over a year same batteries. I use it all the time.

AHOSOUTLY Archery Bow Scale Recurve/Compound Bow 110 lb/50 kg Tuning Scale LCD Display g/oz/kg/lb https://a.co/d/9H4pKjV
Sounds great. Will look for it here in FR. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
While we're going nuts on ideas, could somehow (for no better reason) use a standard pressure scale. Not how much a bow takes to pull, but how much it pushes. With a serial port could do readings throughout the draw curve.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Better yet? Pressure mat with strain gauge. This way it a fixed know load with a force impact output value.
Yes, both would be great - plenty of info - though how could you measure strain and pressure at the same time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts