Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I’m looking for a one piece longbow to practice form and leisurely shooting, something that is 30lbs at my 30-31” DL. I’ve been searching for bows 68-70 AMO and 25lbs @ 28” but haven’t found much.

Southwest Archery Scorpion has a 25lbs option and favorable reviews. Others like the Galaxy line of longbows and Samick Sag start at 30lbs on the low end. I’ve found some at 25lbs but they’re 62-64 AMO.

Any suggestions on bows i should look at that aren’t a custom build?

I have already have recurve with multiple limbs but have my heart set on a longbow.

-Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 32" draw and shoot a 64" slight reflex/deflex longbow occasionally that I bought used. It was marked 23# @ 24", but pulls what feels around 35lbs at my draw length. At that low of a weight I can't perceive any stack and limbs seem to be holding up fine after hundreds of shots. I picked up this nice custom bow from a well-known bowyer for less than a new China model would cost on the online auction site so don't overlook the used market. Before that I shot a 64" Bear montana and it didn't feel good drawing to 32" so some limb/bow designs will be better at shorter lengths than others.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,787 Posts
I have a 32 inch draw and my light longbow is a 69 inch 30 pound Samick SLB that weighs about 40 at my draw length. The SLB is a standard production longbow that cost $200 at the time. I think Samick has replaced it. I am surprised that there are so many 30's and not 29's. The bow tax hits at 30 pounds which is why you find bows marked at 29. The lower end bows are more likely to stack. I suspect that YoungMarine is powering through the stack which is why he doesn't feel it. To give you an example, my 70 inch 35 pound Falco Trophy pulls about the same at my draw length as my 30 pound Samick SLB. Long and light may be hard to find since long in general in harder to find, especially in a low cost production bow.

·
Registered
205 Posts
... I am surprised that there are so many 30's and not 29's. The bow tax hits at 30 pounds which is why you find bows marked at 29...
I didn't know that. Is there any online reference I could check to read more about it?

EDIT: Never mind....found it on my 3rd attempt on DDG.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes, there seems to be a fascination with short LB’s. I have seen a lot of LB’s I like but that stops when I see they only come up to 64-66 inches in length. I want 68-70” so custom it will have to be. Even then not many offer “long” longbows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe check out Omega? I know you said you didñt want custom, but Omega is supposedly not full custom and has a quick turn around. Also they make up to 70" bows and the bowyer iirc has a long draw himself so should be good at building long draw bows.

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
Follow your heart and get a longbow. With your draw length you need a long one, no less than 68". They are rare in the used market but keep looking there, you only need to find one. I found a lovely Howard Hill Archery Redman model, all yew, 30# and 66". I bought it to pass on but found it to produce good power and arrow speed at my 29+ inch draw length. But it stacked beyond 28" and I could not shoot my best with it. So I did pass it on and ordered another one of 32# @ 70".

Like you I had in mind form work and comfortable general sport archery. I have been able to increase my draw length with comfort and it shoots hunting weight arrows, 430 grains, very well so I shoot it more than any of my several bows.

Howard Hill Archery will build you a plain but lovely bow of bamboo lams at70 or 72", for less than $600. You could save up your pocket change for that. Might as well get the real thing; a man has got to know. - lbg

PS: I have heavier bows, mostly recurves; I am not a wimp, but I enjoy this one the most. - lbg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! Adding Falco Legend to the list, 68” 26# @ 28. Though i think with shipping from the UK it’s out of my price range.

The end goal is an Omega. I’ve wanted one for years but want to start small, Make sure i like the style, get my form in order, then order a custom.

I’ll keep searching and maybe do some strength training and get a 30lb bow. 😉

Question on stacking. I was inquiring about a bow, it’s limb rating, and what the increase in draw weight per inch over it’s rating would be. It’s listed in different weights but not at 28” or another DL. I assumed 28”. I was told the 30lb draw weight would be the same from 29-32”, then would stack. I asked if the limbs are rated at 30”, just waiting to hear back. Does that seem right?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,787 Posts
The Falco Legend looks like a great bow at an excellent price. My competition bow is a 70 inch 35 pound Falco Trophy with a couple of mod's. Falco is a great company to work with. I think the Legend is built to stock so you may find what you are looking for from an on-line seller. If not, Falco delivered to my door on time from Estonia. I got an estimate of 13 weeks if I recall. I expected it to ship in 13, but it was actually delivered in that time. Omega bows are great as well. I probably would have bought a 70 inch Imperial if Kegan made one at the I was getting my Falco. I had messaged him on it but the longest was 68. By the way, with your draw length you may really like the 70 inch Falco Legend. Falco caters a lot to competition archers in Europe which is why they have a strong selection of longer longbows. Longbow target competition is big in Europe. The US caters to bow hunting so we get short bows.

http://www.falco.ee/products/falco_longbows/legend

·
Super Moderator
2,905 Posts
Windsor,
The perfect weight training device is a good long and light bow, shot many, many times. You can build muscle in a matter of weeks but tendons get stronger very slowly. So take your time to avoid injury. I trained that way in my prime and could eventually draw 100 pounds. Not many times. No need; no more pachyderms left in California for the last 10,000 years. Plenty before.- lbg

·
Registered
419 Posts
You might want to take a look at Omega longbows. Yes he is a custom builder but very reasonable price. He’d build yo7 a 68-70 I Imperial or Royal Huntsman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.