Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, I wanted to try a good long recurve bow. So after checking in with the house treasurer and getting the go ahead;) I did a little search and came up with an OMP Adventure 2.0 and it was delivered here today!…That was quick!…
Anyway, I do have it put together and strung with an old stick on arrow rest at the moment. Later when the glue I used for the rest sets up, I'll take "er" for a test run!…68 inches long tip to tip, 28#@28" Not sure about my arrows yet, but I think may have a few that'll fly okay. I will let you all know how well this goes for me, hopefully with a couple pics!
Thanks! scout4

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Boy is target shooting different than traditional. In target, 68 inches is considered average. I have shot ILF recurves up to 72 inches.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
That's very true, Hank. I shoot a 68" Olympic rig, but usually a 60" bow in trad mode. I know I ought to drop down to a 66" bow to get more out of my 27" draw, but I already had the 68" bow tuned to well, I am hesitant to change a thing on it. As I understand it, you get the most out of a pair of limbs by drawing it just before stacking. I know I can't get a 68" anything to stack with my draw, so I wonder just how much performance am I giving up. Of course, performance isn't everything. The string angle on a 68" recurve is very nice and comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I cannot underline the statement that 68" is common in target shooting, at least for Germany and what I know from the rest of Europe.
For male shooters with a draw from 29" upwards 70" bows are the most common.
68" mostly is a bow length used by female shooters

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
I have a 27" draw and don't like going below 68" for field or 3D. I have a custom 62" recurve that I love too though. I keep that because it's so damn quick 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for replies! I never really shot a 68" recurve. This isn't an olympic style bow but I'm thinking should be a good one! Using a different computer for now cause old one is down for awhile my daughter will help with loading pics, so maybe get a couple for you later….Arrows! arrows!…that might be a tiny little challenge!…Getting new arrows will be sweet! Yes?
scout4

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We have a guy at the archery club that now shoots an old (1970's) 70" recurve. He gave up on his 60" recurve. I learned my lesson, and even for hunting, I won't shoot a bow of less than 62" (17" riser) or 64" (19" riser). The scale says the poundage is the same at my draw length, but it sure feels smoother with the longer bow.

·
Super Moderator
2,648 Posts
I have owned a lot of 70" target recurves and a few of 68". 1716 aluminum arrows might be best for your 28 pounder, or 750 spine carbons, both with target points. With those it should be capable of great accuracy to 70 or 80 yards. - lbg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts