Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened upon yet another unknown longbow and would like to reach out the community to try to solve the bower mystery. Photo heavy thread!

Most likely from Illinois. It is a 63.5" nock to nock self bow with hickory back and cedar belly. Have a sort of english longbow/pyramid bow shape to the handle area. 42# draw, shoots really well and quiet but the hand shock is a bit much, it only weighs 1 pound 2oz!

Any info on who the bower may be would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain Twig
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Terrestrial plant Natural material
String instrument String instrument Wood String instrument accessory Plucked string instruments
Wood Trunk Floor Flooring Tree
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Plank
Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain Plank

Brown Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plank
Brown Wood Wood stain Floor Flooring

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It is very pyramid design to be someone known - at least based on my limited experience. But the attention to details is remarkable. The maker really knew what is he doing. The additional piece of wood at handle is not rookie like - the taper of the limb is in the handle before the new piece. The handle - fade to fade - is long-ish compared with the usual natural bow made by Schulz or similar. Might be an old Pearson but it’s a laminate and usually the old bows have a big stringfollow. The tips are very nice and there are very few who use red cedar - I know just David Johnson making great bows with cedar lams. Maybe a Westerner bowyer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the design is well thought out and executed really well. I know Ryan Benoit uses cedar but don’t think he makes anything like this.
LBG -
Think you are right about the snake wood, it’s really nice stuff. Must be light too, this bow is only 1lb 2oz

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
Actually, snakewood is very heavy - it might even sink in water. But cedar is very light. So that bow would float grip down. - lbg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I dont think your likely to figure out who made it, looks home made.
Home made as opposed to shop made? Seems like most longbows are homemade in some way or another, maybe a small home shop. Definitely not expecting this to be a production bow. No worries if I don't find out the maker, it just makes shooting the bow more interesting knowing who had a hand in the crafting. It really seems dialed, only downside coming from the very low weight causing hand shock, which is typical with cedar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts