Trad Talk Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,647 Posts
In my experience most beginners are more comfortable with the simple longbow. (Not a short longbow, which is and oxymoron, and maybe an absurdity as well.) So am I. I enjoy them more.

I don't know for sure but I suspect that for more basic hunting or general archery bows, the longbows and recurves are closer together than 10%. The greater mass of a recurve handle is a factor but so is the greater length and inertial of the longbow limbs. Ultimately it is not a matter of science and logic; it is more feel and emotion. Like selecting a mate. - lbg

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my experience most beginners are more comfortable with the simple longbow. (Not a short longbow, which is and oxymoron, and maybe an absurdity as well.) So am I. I enjoy them more.

I don't know for sure but I suspect that for more basic hunting or general archery bows, the longbows and recurves are closer together than 10%. The greater mass of a recurve handle is a factor but so is the greater length and inertial of the longbow limbs. Ultimately it is not a matter of science and logic; it is more feel and emotion. Like selecting a mate. - lbg
Feel and emotion....huge factors for me. If the bow does not speak to me when i hold it, I let it go!
One of my favorite bows is a 56" RD Mike Treadway longbow. Not because it is prettier than others, but when you shoot it, it makes you smile. 56" long bows "aint supposed to shoot well" ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting thread, I've been deliberating all weekend on what to order, longbow or recurve. I guess I'm going with a recurve for my first one piece bow. Looking at the Bucktrail Big Horn recurve. Cheap enough and seems to be of good quality.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well let me know how you like it!!
Been shooting the PL for about a week now. It's 40# @ 30" draw. Getting best arrow flight with full length 600 Gold Tip Traditional XT with 225 up front. I love the bow. Very comfortable to draw and hold. BH at 7 3/4" makes for a very quiet and hand-shock-free shot. Have found I need to cant it to use my gaps as the sight window is very small compared to the DAS 17" riser. The furthest I've shot it is 28 yards, and like the DAS it is more forgiving of my flaws than my Re curve, but not as forgiving as my DAS. My guess is it is just due to the need to cant. I expect I will improve with a lot more practice. Overall, I'm very happy I purchased it, and hope to get one of the new carbon limb models for Christmas this year. Just have to convince the wife I am worthy =) or use the "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" model of purchases.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Been shooting the PL for about a week now. It's 40# @ 30" draw. Getting best arrow flight with full length 600 Gold Tip Traditional XT with 225 up front. I love the bow. Very comfortable to draw and hold. BH at 7 3/4" makes for a very quiet and hand-shock-free shot. Have found I need to cant it to use my gaps as the sight window is very small compared to the DAS 17" riser. The furthest I've shot it is 28 yards, and like the DAS it is more forgiving of my flaws than my Re curve, but not as forgiving as my DAS. My guess is it is just due to the need to cant. I expect I will improve with a lot more practice. Overall, I'm very happy I purchased it, and hope to get one of the new carbon limb models for Christmas this year. Just have to convince the wife I am worthy =) or use the "Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" model of purchases.
Hey, that model has gotten me by the last year! I'm still allowed to sleep in the bed! Glad you like it!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
(Not a short longbow, which is and oxymoron, and maybe an absurdity as well.)
By langauge and common sense, but not be regimentation ...
Those say (here in AT) a bow counts as longbow if the string touches nowhere except at the nocks, and has at most a shelf (no arrow rest). And you need to shoot wooden arrows.
I know countries with a real longbow tradition (GB) have a length requirement, too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree. I started off with a longbow and recurve side by side and found the LB to be more sensitive to form issues. Don't get me wrong, I prefer one piece longbows but I find recurves to be better for consistency for me. The new shooters locally have experienced the same thing at our local club.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am more than happy with my first and only traditional bow, an ILF recurve, but this thread makes me want a one piece longbow.

Anyone have any recommendation for a Canadian bowyer that makes one piece longbows?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have both a quality metal ILF recurve rig and a custom r/d longbow. After extensive testing I have determined that the longbow definitely shoots better.
The reason is simple mathematics:

Prettier bow = sexier I feel= more I shoot= better accuracy

Other scientifically proven performance enhancers include: Exotic wood veneers, antler overlays and wearing Fred Bear plaid. 😆

·
Registered
9 Posts
Two old men sitting on a bench.

One asks the other, “Ever slept with a blonde?” The other replies, “Many a night.”

“What about a brunette?”

“Many a night,” the other replies.

“Well, what about a redhead?”

“Never a wink.”

In this scenario one could reasonably concur that the blonde is an ILF, the brunette is a recurve, and the redhead is a custom longbow.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have run complete designed experiments in this testing several bow designs in terms of shootability. This takes a tremendous amount of work shooting 300 rounds to obtain a signal greater than the variation I induce as the shooter.

I’ll say this first, I love longbows. The slower they are the more I like them. ASL and mild R/D are my preference. They are not the easiest to shoot. Recurves with deflex and mass are more forgiving. I am sure there is an Archer who is the exception but recurves in general are the shooters. Most Archers drop points and show a completely different capability with longbow vs recurve.

From the Olympics to Vegas you see recurves. There is a reason for this. The mass,
deflex and ergonomics play a role. Not to mention that recurves cut well past center tend to offer a broader window of tune.

With that being said a person tends to choose a bow that inspires them to shoot. In my case that is an American Styk ASL, Liberty English or a Toelke D. All are slow and critical to shoot and slow as sin, but I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 33 of 33 Posts