Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a Byron Fergason video. He was saying that longbows are better for beginners or people with a bad release due to the limbs not being able to torque. Has anyone done a comparison? Interested to know how drastic it is.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just started a little over a year ago, I have two recurves and two longbows and haven’t noticed much difference if any. My longbow limbs are thicker and would be more stable so I understand that but in shooting them I’m just not seeing it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just started a little over a year ago, I have two recurves and two longbows and haven’t noticed much difference if any. My longbow limbs are thicker and would be more stable so I understand that but in shooting them I’m just not seeing it.
That's something I was wondering. Even if there's a difference how noticeable it is. Maybe it's more noticeable in a bad release! So maybe you have a fantastic one!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Byron sells longbows.
Thats really the whole story.

The torque difference is really just as matter of leverage. If you look at most modern recurves you will see that its doesnt even make sense.

Now if you have some unusual bow with an extremely reflex riser or MAYBE a super curve, it could matter.

Also unless the beginner is shooting the bow in the utterly wrong way - hes never going to notice the difference because there so much else that matters.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
He is parroting Hill, who also sold longbows.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, he's not the only longbow shooter who claim that longbows are more forgiving when you torque the string or the bow on release.

Maybe he is comparing it to older recurve limb technology which is supposedly less stable than the modern ones?

·
Registered
70 Posts
A recurve with a plunger and rest is better for a shooters with a bad release. Anything shot off the shelf is going to be more sensitive of form and release changes.

·
Super Moderator
688 Posts
I’ve never seen anyone who can shoot a longbow better than a recurve, especially beginners. While a longbow may be more resistant to torque, they seem to be far more sensitive to grip and bow arm issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have shot both and I can say that I do a bit better with a longer bow. They happen to be longbows that are 64". My recurves are all 60". I don't know how much is length and how much is limb design. Currently, I have a 66" recurve on the way so maybe that will tell me more. I am inclined to think length has more to do with it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was watching a Byron Fergason video. He was saying that longbows are better for beginners or people with a bad release due to the limbs not being able to torque. Has anyone done a comparison? Interested to know how drastic it is.
I don’t think anyone would consider the difference as drastic. To me there is definitely a different feel to shooting a long bow compared to a recurve, I like them both and would always have both.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My DAS with ILF longbow limbs is the most forgiving bow I currently own. When I make a poor shot my misses are not as drastic as when I make a poor shot with my re curve. Might just be me, but I find my longbow to be more forgiving of my form flaws. DAS ILF Longbow is 62", PCH Re curve is 60" and have a PL 64" longbow on the way. Hoping the forgiveness trend continues. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My DAS with ILF longbow limbs is the most forgiving bow I currently own. When I make a poor shot my misses are not as drastic as when I make a poor shot with my re curve. Might just be me, but I find my longbow to be more forgiving of my form flaws. DAS ILF Longbow is 62", PCH Re curve is 60" and have a PL 64" longbow on the way. Hoping the forgiveness trend continues. Happy shooting!
Well let me know how you like it!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Keep in mind that deflex-reflex longbow with ILF riser is more like like a "recurve" than it is like an ASL that Byron would shoot.

·
Registered
619 Posts
But in most competitions if you stick deflex/reflex longbow limbs on a ilf riser with the same gear as a recurve - then they go in the same class and both are competitive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In World Archery which is by far the biggest archery organisation one or two piece r/d longbows are legal, (no longbow limbs on recurve risers), and in other words they dont require the continuous "D" shape when strung as long as they comply with the tip to tip string. IFAA is the most stringent requiring the "D" shape. Strange how World Archery is 5 times bigger globally than IFAA

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've experimented a bit with longbows over the years. I could not claim great deals of experience, but I do like them. Mainly shoot my recurves. At short range I shoot a bit better with my longbow than I would expect. Marginal. At distance it disappears.. probably time of flight/wind/etc related as they are noticeably slower than my recurves.

As to "better for beginners"- I suspect the pros largely match the cons, as others above have said. My PoV, arguable of course: the ideal beginner bow is "too light a draw weight," "too long," and borrowed from your coach/friend who is helping you start.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts