Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm saving up for one more bow...a longbow. I think I want a Wesley Special, or Big 5. Question...why do places like Black Widow and 3 Rivers push the reflex-deflex design of longbow, and not the strait limb Howard Hill type? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these longbow designs?

I have taught myself to shoot my three recurves 1) Dream Catcher 2) Mamba 3) Black Widow. I have never shot a longbow. What's my life about to be like?

Sincerely,

Robert

·
Registered
996 Posts
A hybrid or Reflex/Deflex will have some reflex in the limbs (similar to a recurve). They will outperform a straight limbed bow, and in most cases shoot with less hand shock. Some R/D bows will brace with a little recurve, others will brace with the classic D shape (stealth r/d)

That being said there are plenty of guys that love to shoot Hill Style longbows.

I prefer the reflex/deflex style. I have shot several r/d longbows that perform on par or better than some of the recurves I have owned.

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Reflex/Deflex is my longbow of choice. I've tried Hill style straight limbed longbows and didn't like how they felt. More handshock than I would like. I've heard some folks say you have to hold the Hill style bow in a certain way, but I've not figured it out and likely never will.

If you are looking for the continuous D-shape, some R/D longbows will brace into that graceful D while retaining all the improved performance of the R/D design.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I shoot both. My favorites in both designs are built by James Berry of JD Berry archery. I also like his reverse handled straight limb bows. He's a true artist and knows how to build a beautiful bow with no hand shock. The D/R design is a bit quicker, and I shoot both styles daily.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
The recurve is more efficient, though some reflex/deflex longbows are close. Straight limb longbows are less so, but effective with fairly heavy arrows. Many of us simply find the Hill style longbows more pleasant and satisfying to shoot. Some of us prefer them to all others and some own many of them. Better get one. A man has got to know. - lbg

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've owned an shot both.
My Jerry Hill straight limbed bow was the most natural pointing easy to shoot bow I've ever owned.
I shot more game with that bow than any other bow I've ever owned.
A lot of it on the move.
I had it 3 years and liked it a lot but can not return to shooting that style of bow due to the tendonitis and loose teath I got from shooting it due to the hand shock,which believe me is very real on a J Hill longbow no matter how you hold it.
I've also owned four R/D longbows.
Two locally made and two American imports.
The two local bows were ok but slow.
The two American bows were both very nice shooters and fast enough for me.
I had a Tomahawk Desert Fox which I would still own today but for an injury that was supoused to keep me out of archery for life,,,but the doctors got that part wrong.
The Tomahawk was a 15 year want for me and it was simply everything 3 Rivers claim it to be.
Before that was a Martin Bamboo Viper,nice enough bow an probably slightly faster than the T Hawk, but I never felt comfortable with it so sold it to buy the T Hawk.
From a romantic point of view I love the American longbow,their the Bow Howard Hill shot.They look ultra cool at full draw and their very accurate in the hunting field when you get multipule shots at fast moving things an don't do any thinking,just shooting.
From a practicle view the R/D bow is softer in the hand,faster,better looking if it's a T Hawk,usually shorter,an not very trad,,,cool,,LOL.
If I ever get the money again I'll buy another Tomahawk and just keep the good memories of the straight limbed longbow.

Enjoy your choise.
John.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't always shoot long bows but when I do I shoot english long bows only.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've shot a number of Hill-style bows and I've never found one I'd want to own. I've made selfbows which outperform them in every regard.

That said I do love the "stealth-D" R/D bows which brace to just straight. I've currently got one on order which I'm rather excited about.

-Grant

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy smokes this is a great place. All of the replies are wonderful. I'm really learning a lot here. I shall post again when I get my longbow but that won't be for a while. I guess I like the way the Hill bows look, and don't like the way the R/D bows look. In the end I just want to get good enough to let the compound go all together. And you know you see Howard Hill in his films making it look so easy. One wonders "...could I be a better shot with a Hill than with my recurves?...". I will probably buy a mid range priced, used, Hill.

Couple more questions though. Am I understanding, that's it's gonna be HARDER for me to get better with a longbow than a recurve? Remember...I've never shot a longbow. Oh and oh yeah...If I'm shooting a longbow, am I necessarily shooting off the hand or off the shelf? How does one know? Does one have a choice?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Couple more questions though. Am I understanding, that's it's gonna be HARDER for me to get better with a longbow than a recurve? Remember...I've never shot a longbow. Oh and oh yeah...If I'm shooting a longbow, am I necessarily shooting off the hand or off the shelf? How does one know? Does one have a choice?
In my experience MUCH harder. The very best longbow shooters can only just keep up with somewhat average recurve shooters.
Look at the National indoor records for NFAA and you will see the difference. Keeping in mind that those longbow records were shot with something a LOT easier to shoot then a Hill bow.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Holy smokes this is a great place. All of the replies are wonderful. I'm really learning a lot here. I shall post again when I get my longbow but that won't be for a while. I guess I like the way the Hill bows look, and don't like the way the R/D bows look. In the end I just want to get good enough to let the compound go all together. And you know you see Howard Hill in his films making it look so easy. One wonders "...could I be a better shot with a Hill than with my recurves?...". I will probably buy a mid range priced, used, Hill.

Robert, the Longbow, specifically a Hill or a Hill style longbow is a wonderful bow. When you receive yours, spend 48 hours with that bow alone....don't go back and forth between longbow, recurve, etc. Learn how to shoot THAT bow. When you do this, you most likely will find that the longbow is as accurate and pleasant to shoot as anything you'd ever want to pick up......and like a lot of us, you'll find it to be the sexiest bow you've ever shot. There's a reason this style of bow has such a huge following.

PS - you'll most likely be shooting off a shelf. Do your research on the Howard Hill Archery, JD Berry archery, Northern Mist archery, 7 Lakes archery, Sky archery, and Jet archery, etc. websites......you'll find lots of information.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Guys I'm saving up for one more bow...a longbow. I think I want a Wesley Special, or Big 5. Question...why do places like Black Widow and 3 Rivers push the reflex-deflex design of longbow, and not the strait limb Howard Hill type? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these longbow designs?

I have taught myself to shoot my three recurves 1) Dream Catcher 2) Mamba 3) Black Widow. I have never shot a longbow. What's my life about to be like?

Sincerely,

Robert
If you get a nice HH style American Semi-Longbow you could be in for insanity or ecstasy... either way will leave you smiling....one will probably leave you talking to yourself though..... :luck:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you fellas. I'm gonna do it/just don't have the money right now. But it's very exciting to think about. I'm looking at strait limb bows EVERYDAY. Drives my wife crazy. Says can't have. Will be getting one anyway though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I own all type of longbows. String follow, straight, reflex, stealth D, and curvy hybrid. The straight bow variants with the relatively straight grips are great. Less preload than other types so the draw tends to feel very linear, no surprises, just a steady increase to full draw. They're super easy to quiet, they aren't speed demons and some of them have appreciable hand shock.

The mild D/R and stealth bows normally have better speed and less shock. Draw cycle is still smooth but most have more preload on the front end. Again, normally easy to quiet down and most of them are stable shooters.

The aggressive hybrids with the curvy limbs are probably the quickest of the styles (not always). The limb profiles usually sport a good amount of preload with a smooth tail end, more similar to drawing a recurve than a straight limbed bow. Some of them take a little work to keep quiet. Also, some aggressive hybrids can get a little noodly at brace on the vertical plane. But, when you find an hybrid that's built right they are awesome.

In my experience MUCH harder. The very best longbow shooters can only just keep up with somewhat average recurve shooters.
Look at the National indoor records for NFAA and you will see the difference. Keeping in mind that those longbow records were shot with something a LOT easier to shoot then a Hill bow.

-Grant
I don't necessarily believe the bow is harder to shoot. NFAA indoor records aren't a great example because of the difference in arrows. That's the real kicker. Shooting a longbow with wood arrows is a whole different game.
I'm sure the results would be much closer if they could shoot the same arrows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts