Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an inexpensive longbow on the site; a dry ridge 40# @ 29". My draw length is 28" and the bow measures at about 37.5# at that draw.

I took it out today for the first time - I don't even have proper arrows - but used some aluminum 2315 with 125gr points and 4" feathers which flew okay.

It was fun! I took it out the the FITA field and shot it at 30m, 50m and 70m ;)

What a hoot; quiet like nothing else I ever shot. 30m was no problem. 50m took some getting used to but I was consistently hitting pretty quickly. 70m (about 77 yards)- now that was a challenge. I was aiming up into the sky and while I hit the target butt a few times, no score :)

No pictures, sorry. I just had such a good time I had to tell someone!

Alan

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
Just out screwing around with a stickbow is a great time, makes you feel like a kid again.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Love the quietness of a LB - no work needed - was out in the woods with mine today & it always amazes me vs a recurve - now if someone could somehow figure out a super recurve type let off (is different flex charachteristics in an unshaped limb even possible?) - I'd have to get another one - M

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If I was hunting and stump shooting alone, I'd probably just shoot a Hill styled longbow an nothing else.
Chances are that's where I'll end up some day anyway and I could think of a lot worse things.

John.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alan, learn a spot on your bow that equates to that yardage (70M), for my LB with wood arrows it happens to be my middle knuckle on my bow hand. :)
Ren, that is exactly what I finally figured out to do - but by then I had been shooting for 3 hours and was tired! I will have to go back and play again next week.

Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.