Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a longbow. Have enough recurves. I'm just not sure what I want. Thinking of reflex/deflex. In a lighter poundage. (40 to 45) Don't know if I want all wood, or glass backed. I want something in the 62 to 66 inch range. I have a 28" DL with a curve, so I don't know if that will change with a LB. I have looked at many web sites, and kind of keep going back to look at the Bear Patriot. Anyway, any advise and experience will be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
I had this Hummingbird Alpha Male for a while, it was 64", 51# .....
I liked it, a lot, but I have ILF longbow limbs on warf risers, so I sold it.

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
I had a beautiful fox triple crown for a little while. You won't find a better longbow (with the exception of a couple others). However, I realized that I like shooting my recurves a lot more and sold it. If you have never shot a longbow before, I would advise that you try one, if you can, before you buy one :) HTH.

Zafar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW, Steve, that's a beautiful bow. I little heavier than I want but, still, what a looker. Zafar, I hear you. You would think a city the size of Austin would have a trad shop, but none that I know of. After all. this is High Tech. Disney Land. I guess those tech boys are all into the high tech bows. Maybe San Antonio? Don't really know.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Lots of good longbows out there, find yourself a trad event and go look around. Here in Michigan we have comptons and the Kzoo show, likely others. At Kzoo there are probably 10 bowyers and they will let you shoot what they brought. Find an event like that and your likely to leave with an order placed.:D

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
I too had a Fox TC I got from Ren, it was ? 46# and 66", and a beauty, shot well.
I like the 1 piece longbows, but I have to admit - my metal risers with ILF longbow limbs have spoiled me.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If your budget can't stretch to the Fox TC (great bow) then have a look at Kegan's Imperial. Everyone thats got one so far has been extremely pleased.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
There is a guy on ArcheryTalk.com that posts under the screen name of "Kegan". He builds a very nice long bow at a very cheap price. The name is Omega Longbows. http://omegalongbows.webs.com/bowsandotherproducts.htm

I don't own one, but if I was going to go with a longbow, I would probably start with the Imperial.

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
HH stands for Howard Hill, it's a particular style of longbow with a real traditional grip, not at all like the "typical" recurve "locator" grips, and if I am not mistaken, they are normal "D" strung in shape, without any reflex/deflex to them.

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
get yourself to one of the larger matches or trad archery shows where you can actually try a bunch of them before you decide. the fit between your hand and the bow's grip are absolutely critical and with longbows its even more so. shopping form catalogues or websites is pretty damn useless------unless you have tried them and found that the grip "fits" YOU. you REALLY need to try bows and find one that really "fits" you if you want to have a pleasant and long lasting Long bow experience.
Some guys let the emotional attachment to a "traditional"-looking straight or dished grip drive their decision making process. others are more willing to use a more contemporary semi-pistol/recurve looking grip

Over half of the guys I have talked to who are selling their longbows (except for financial need and weight/draw issues) I have talked to; when you get to discussing the bow in depth, wind up mentioning that "it just didn't feel right". and 90% of the time that boils down to subtle but critical differences in the grip configuration.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Holly cow, Sarrels is in Austin, 21 st Century is in Jacksonville so is Bob Lee and Roy hall,all good LB's I would check them out first, after all they are next door. Just Sayin Getting a Triple Crown would be easy cause there all for sale . LOL Cal

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
get yourself to one of the larger matches or trad archery shows where you can actually try a bunch of them before you decide. the fit between your hand and the bow's grip are absolutely critical and with longbows its even more so. shopping form catalogues or websites is pretty damn useless------unless you have tried them and found that the grip "fits" YOU. you REALLY need to try bows and find one that really "fits" you if you want to have a pleasant and long lasting Long bow experience.
Some guys let the emotional attachment to a "traditional"-looking straight or dished grip drive their decision making process. others are more willing to use a more contemporary semi-pistol/recurve looking grip

Over half of the guys I have talked to who are selling their longbows (except for financial need and weight/draw issues) I have talked to; when you get to discussing the bow in depth, wind up mentioning that "it just didn't feel right". and 90% of the time that boils down to subtle but critical differences in the grip configuration.
Yes Sir, I agree, just don't know of any shoots like that here in Central Texas where I can try a bunch of bows. It's not exactly like driving to a neighboring state for a shoot. It takes a full day just to drive to Arkansas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.