TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question but why do people put longbow limbs on ILF or takedown risers?
When I think of a longbow I think of a one piece D looking bow and that’s what I bought, I wanted a classic look of a longbow. I see adds for longbow limbs for ILF risers and wonder what the benefits are?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I like LB ILF limbs. I find that the benefits are that they are quieter, and very stable. The cons are that they are a little slower than top level recurve limbs another con to some is that recurve limbs have a bit more pre load and it makes the draw feel smoother. For me, that is a pro. I like the very predictable linear draw of LB limbs more than the recurve limbs.

·
Trad is for stumpin
175 Posts
For ILF/DAS longbow setups ease of tuning, slight # adjust, tiller adjust, center or past center shot, use of elevated rests/plungers. Or shot off of shelf humps with adjustable side plates. They tend to be more quiet than recurves with less needed items to silence. I have a DAS 17" Dalaa with longbow limbs, only needs a couple of string puffs, some velcro on shelf and side plate and its hunting quiet. With some of the better carbon/foam ILF/DAS LB limbs you get performance equal to conventional recurves. Have a multitude of available grips so you can find one to your liking.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have 17" DAS with DAS L bamboo core LB limbs 40#. I find them to be very forgiving and quiet. My misses are not as drastic with LB limbs as they are with RC when I know I've made a bad shot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my experience, while all ILF risers will take LB limbs, not all ILF risers are great for them.
That is a great statement, and some risers they are just magical with. ILF longbow limbs tend to work better with shorter risers also, 19 inches and less. I have posted this picture before, but my 19 in White Feather Lark Essential riser will never have recurve limbs on it, these DAS bamboo core are awesome. It is much easier with ILF to try different lengths of limbs, different poundage, and even different manufacturers limbs. I also prefer the heavier physical weight of this riser versus a lighter traditional one piece longbow.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
and, the COOL GUYS shoot ILF longbow limbs......... 😇
this is the only reason I need, but there are a few others.

The linear draw is a thing for me, pulling straight back to anchor and hitting that mark is faster and more stable for me.. with a good recurve I tend to over draw and have to settle back into anchor. And of course, the ease of tune.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I really enjoy shooting my das bamboo xl’s on my discovery riser. I shoot better with the longer 64” bow. I have spent alot of time quieting down my discovery with recurve limbs. I mean a ton of time. I thought it was quiet until I shot the das LB limbs. They are very very quiet and over the chronograph they are pretty close if not equal to the LB limbs.

·
Super curve shooter
121 Posts
I just got a set of centaur long bow limbs 48 @ 28 longs and I’ve been shooting them on my 17in. Nat gear das riser. I’ve always wanted a long bow set up and new I LF was an option, but never really took it super seriously as I was more interested in something like a omega native or tolke whip. but after shooting this bow for a day or two It’s safe to say that I am hooked on it pretty hard right now. I still love my recurves but this just feels different in a way I can’t fully explain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Found a used Das DX5 for my Das LB limbs and hoping it works out better than my Morrison Phoenix 15" and VPA 13". Both of those seemed to have too much limb angle as the limbs didn't gain any weight going on a shorter riser. They did work well on my discovery riser but it either tightens down more for more preload or is slightly less angled. Tried to eyeball it with the other risers next to it and it did look steeper angled. Following to see how others do on this adventure.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I shot and competed with ILF longbows for many years and tried bunches of risers: 17" and 19" Titans, Dryads, Satori, TT Black Magic, Hoyt Dorado and some I've probably forgotten about. The best of the lot for me, surprisingly, was a 21" Hoyt Excel with a set of Dryad Epics. I did the best shooting of my life with that bow but decided to "upgrade" and it was downhill from there. I eventually went back to competing with my 70" 21st Century.

Lately I've had the urge to give it another shot. I'm tempted to try another Excel rig but have been hearing good things about the WF Lark with LB limbs, might have to give that a go if 3R ever gets the DAS bamboo LB limbs back in stock. I'm enjoying hearing everybody's riser experiences so y'all keep this thread rolling!

·
Trad is for stumpin
175 Posts
CD WF19 is another good ILF LB limb riser. I have a set of Morrison carbon/foam LB longs on it making a 64" bow. Minimal noodling at around 8" brace. Very smooth almost linear draw, no heavy loading at the start like some recurves.

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Dana you're breakin' me heart, but - - I have Centaurs.......JEFFRO n me......

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've got a pair of dryad lbx on order for my wf19. Excited to give them a go.

I just prefer the tunability of an ILF riser. I can get the exact grip that I like. The heavier weight and additional center shot just make them easier to shoot.

When I first started with traditional equipment it was about the nostalgia. Now, it is about the process. I just prefer shooting a single string bow and I'll take all the advantages a metal riser can give me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The cool thing about these rigs is seeing just how far you can push the longbow concept. I'll never give up my 1-piece 21st Edge, but it's fun toying with the various ILF combos.

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
I've had a PILE of the one-piece ? top? longbows and I'm a little embarassed to say it, BUT - - I PREFER the draw cycle & "feel" of the ILF longbow to the 1-piece ones I've tried.
I WANT to like the 1-piece longbows, and I WOULD probably if I had never tried the ILF route.
They're not for everyone, we are all different - - and I think a lot of folks MISS OUT due to pre-conceived notions, ("I have read that ~~~") etc. - - instead of trying several sets of different LONGBOW LIMBS on several of their favorite risers.
I compared my Centaur ILF longbow limbs with same-pounds-at-my-DL top conventional recurve limbs & same arrows & got real similar speeds, compared to WINEX & Extreme BF & SF Ultimate Pros. AND Longbow limbs are inherently quieter. I DO KEEP some favorite recurve limbs, but I PREFER shooting my Centaurs.
Favorite grip is a HUGE thing. I can't get my JAGER grip on a wood one-piece longbow. I Get Jagers on my DAS risers and my Hoyt Tracker warf.

Reactions: wdw52001

·
Registered
168 Posts
Boy, oh boy...I see that a certain supplier just got a certain wood ILF riser back in stock. Party time! Of course, now I gotta sell some other stuff to fund some LB limbs. It's an endless cycle:).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts