Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an A and H acs longbow, 62" 50# at my draw.
No matter how I hold that bow it hits my arm 4" above my wrist, with my best form and loose grip.
Puzzled at this I played with grip location and only way I don't slap my arm is if I grip it lightly with fingers and palm all over the grip?
To me this feels wrong.

This is the first bow that has did this, what am I doing wrong?

Chad

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
"Comfortable" (IMO) is a condition that can be made to happen by consistent repitition. I'd offer.... though you've likely tried it already... to unlock your elbow and , with a slight bend, turn it outward. This bow, possibly due to it's grip configuration, causes you go require a bit of an "adjustment" in your hand position..... just sayin.... experimenting on the bale will always help an archer to come up with good solutions to shooting problems. Good Luck!

Tom

·
finger shooter
3,326 Posts
Chad, I am sure you have tried different BH's to correct this but just checking. MY ACS loved an almost 8" BH which is pretty high compared to my others. I also had to grip it similar to a Howard Hill, lots of palm and a slight finger pressure on the front of the grip. Keep that elbow out! :)

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The grip should be lightly held between thumb and forefinger, the rest of the bow should ride from the lifeline towards the thumb. Habits are just that, habit good and bad. So of course bad habits can feel correct.

Try this, open your stance. If you're right handed take a half step forward.

Bowmania

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I never even owned an armguard when shooting the wheels....now I'm surprised when a one string doesn't give me a little love tap now and again! I opened my stance a little and keep an ever-so-slight bend in my elbow. Works as kind of a shock absorber and had the added benefit of stopping those errant shots to the left....

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm having a similar problem recently with a new bow. I bought a new longbow specifically for form work and target practice, and it was hitting my wrist 3 to 4 inches up from my wrist joint. - Not hard, but a little tap that would eventually turn red and get irritated after many shots. If I put an arm-guard on, I would not even notice it happening, but normally I don't use one. I tried various brace heights, to no avail. Eventually, I got to a point where it does not happen very often and it required being very careful with form (more relaxed grip, better back tension when drawn and better release).

I conclude that this bow is perfect for it's intended use as a form bow. It is more sensitive to my errors. For whatever reason, my other bows won't slap unless I make major errors. And, those are the ones that really hurt!

So, it could be that you just need to give it more time and concentration.
Or, perhaps there is a problem with the bow, which is perhaps unlikely, but something to consider if you can't solve the problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have had 2 A&H bows with two different grips. Loved the performance but I could not get the grip to work for me without having to think about it on every shot so I sold them both.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
My brother has one and I have tried to shoot it many times. Hate the grip. Definitely needs a high brace height, and ware and arm guard. Canting the bow may also help as would shooting really heavy arrows. If none of this helps, you know what to do.

Rasyad

·
Spearhead
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone, I have the brace at 7" I'll try more and opening up my stance more.

I'll keep playing with it.

Chad

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Chad, I am sure you have tried different BH's to correct this but just checking. MY ACS loved an almost 8" BH which is pretty high compared to my others. I also had to grip it similar to a Howard Hill, lots of palm and a slight finger pressure on the front of the grip. Keep that elbow out! :)
This! Forget norms and adjust higher till it stops.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I will agree, that the bow will tell you how it likes to be gripped and it will shoot best with that grip. However, if you don't like that grip then sell the bow. It's no fun to shoot a bow when you aren't comfortable shooting it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts