Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
besides being more stable,,,does the riser length affect the limbs performance? not sure if i'm wording my thoughts correctly(too many voices in there,lol). for example: a morison "A" riser with 58" limbs should be smoother in the draw vs a "C" riser with 54"(making for a 58" bow") limbs right? do you get more out of the limbs due to the geometry differences in the risers?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Debates seem to rage as to which limb will perform better on which riser length. I'm not big on the short bow phenomenon. It's all a matter of does the limb design function better by "working" more travel or less. On stick bows I think the less limb travel, probably the better (less mass in motion), but you need to balance it with smoothness, lack of finger pinch and nice manners.

I used to prefer a longer riser and shorter limbs but have seemingly come full circle to preferring a shorter riser with a decent sight window (like a DAS or BW PSA) and longer limbs. My DAS is a short riser and I am currently using long limbs for a 62" bow.

I don't think the speed factor is much different at my draw between various limbs and the smoothness factor means more to me now.

DAS did some testing early on and I believe he likes to stick with certain length limbs matched to certain draw lengths for best performance. I'm probably one size to long on the charts but as I said speed wasn't the only thing I was after.

I think if I was getting a Morrison I would need to opt for a B riser and C or D limbs.

He sure does make a nice looking bow.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I like a long risered bow...regardless of bowlength, or design...All things being equal, a longer riser means more weight where it's needed, and less where it isnt...A short working limb is lighter, and under more stress , so this means more arrow speed/quicker limb recovery...a lighter/shorter limb should be more stable, due to less movement of a lighter lever...if any of this is tue, than it seems that the fastest, most inherently accurate bows "SHOULD" be of a long/stiff riser , and short working limb design...Other factors come into play, but at My short draw, smoothness isnt really one of them...Longer bows are less critical of nock point location, and have less finger pinch, so that should add up to a more forgiving bow...it's all personal, and somewhat relevant to what the Archer themselves wants/needs...And I agree with Scooter, Morrison makes some good looking bows!...well, except for the snakeskins, anyway....L.O.L...Harpman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts