Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
markliep
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any ILF riser bolts out there that are longer than the norm? If so does anyone know where to get them?

Context is that one of my limb sets comes in a lot heavier in sub-zero temps & I'm a little concerned about going out over 5 turns on the current bolts.

Thx for your assorted wisdom - M

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Most times, it's not the bolt length that limits backing out limb bolts to reduce weight......it's the point where the ILF fitting binds in the slot. Might want to check that before attempting to exchange the limb bolts.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I can confirm it is as Rod says. I tried just that to drop the poundage in a set of limbs for my wife on a couple different risers. Even though the stock bolts seemed short, the ILF fitting was binding in the dovetail before I ran out of limb bolt (within the safe number of turns out). Also, I learned there are different grades of steel used in limb bolts and in such a high stress area, you want a grade 8 steel to avoid fracture.

·
赛
614 Posts
Something further to consider is that I'm beginning to realise that there are two ILF limb bolt standards. The American side uses 5/16" and on the other side of the pond M8 (8mm) seems to be the standard. Now, 5/16" is .3125 and M8 is .3149 which is only a .0024 difference, but you also have thread pitch to consider.

I've just recently discovered this disparity in the process of the design/build of my ILF riser; as always I would be very interested to hear from the Trad Braintrust about their experiences with limb bolt compatibility.

Regards,

Salskov

Reactions: markliep

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Das limb bolt length, from bottom of bezel to tip of bolt is 2".

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Fastenal has a bunch of bolts that will do the trick. All different lengths.

Pay attention to what Rod said above. You will bind the fitting if you go out too far.
The bowyer that built the riser will have a max number of turns that is allowed.

We recommend no more the four and some say five.

mike

·
Bart Harmeling
3,381 Posts
Some of the bolts I've pulled from compound risers are pretty long. On the road right now, but I can check the length when I get home. How soon do you need them?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Glen, I would like full thread, but I just need a couple.
Nuthatch, great idea, I'll check an old compound I have, then maybe check the compound shop in town, I'm in no rush.
My buddy used some long bolts that went through his riser(TAC) to attach his homemade quiver brackets. I hate bow quivers, but his is solid, thought I would try it on my DAS.
Thanks guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts