Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend (I know it's startling) with a 32 inch DL.
WONDERING if custom wood bows are built that accomodate the 32" draw length without exploding.
IF you have experience with this, sing out with experience, and if easy tell bowyers that fall into the above category well?
thanks in advance.
OK CASEY is the friend so feel free to use his thread & not mine.
we both posted a similar thing & THEY REMOVED OUR DELETE CAPABILITY.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,566 Posts
The problem I have had with some custom wood bows is stacking pulling 32 inches. I feel like I am hitting a wall. I have done fine with a 68 inch Covert Hunter, but the HEX7.5 limbs really reduce the stack. Even pulling 66 inches for a normal bow does not feel comfortable to me. I am sure that the bow would not explode (even though I have had two bows explode - one wooden). I have always shot longer bows so I am sure that the level of smoothness and ease I get from long bows is what I am used to. Long draw guys that shoot shorter bows probably perceive stack differently than I do. Perception is based on reference point. If I live in North Dakota 50 deg is balmy. Where I live I put on a sweater. I can say that if you want to maximize shooting comfort then go with the longest bow you can find that meets your shooting requirements. I am an advocate of starting long and only removing inches when you can articulate a clear requirement to do so.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
Back in the Golden Age of traditional archery in America, the 1960s and 70s, a great many wooden recurves were built 70" long. They were some of the loveliest and sweetest shooting bows ever made. I have owned maybe a dozen and a half of them and still shoot a couple. The Hoyt Pro Medalist version dominated the Olympics but many other makers made them. Bear Archery made several fine versions, as did others. Most had models with fine tropical hardwoods like Brazilian rosewood in the risers. A very few were even made 72" long. Most are readily available on the used market.

I expect most of them would be fine drawn to 32". - lbg

·
Spearhead
3,430 Posts
Widows are good out to 33” on some models (recurves) but are short, 64” I feel is short, don’t stack to draw but feel twitchy to me.
Wish they would make longer limbs.

Chad

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I shoot my 62” Sky Eagle Hunter all the time with a 32” draw. Any bow has the potential to explode, most “explosions” are loose nock, broken nock dry fire related. I inspect the laminated glue lines thoroughly and often. Triple check my arrows for safety. My 66” 50# @ 32” Wes Wallace one peace Mentor is a pleasure to shoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts