Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first camp. I currently have a cheap electric splitter at home that we use for splitting wood for additional heat at the house.
Would say it does 2-3 chords a year, and have had for 4 to 5 years.
I am trying to justify buying a second splitter for camp, as that would be one less thing to pack for trips.
Just trying to figure out if i will need a big gas splitter or to buy a second electric splitter.
Any opinions and recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a Split Fire splitter, 3203 model 3 pt. hitch.
Very under rated machine great for smaller project like yours.
They are out of Canada, no problem shipping to the US.
Their small gas powered units are nice.
These splitters are double acting, which cut my splitting time significantly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I heated my house 20 years with a gas home depot grade splitter. Personally I would never consider electric but thats me. Not sure how much wood a year you need to process but that might be your best way of deciding. I still have a tough time with electric. A $2000 splitter with proper care laster that long for me and I sold it for $600 after I quit using wood.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dog club used a harbor freight one for years and we cuts tons of wood. We’ve gone to a county line unit now. The harbor freight one my buddy still uses.
Our operation supplies wood to a local campsite so it’s pretty heavy use. Myself I also have a county line unit. No probs w any of them and I can’t see not having one. 2-3 cords isn’t a lot. You could just do it by hand but if you considered the time you’d put it this is a no brainer. Get the gas unit

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
i split all of mine by hand for exercise and because i'm a ill-tempered old SOB that refuses to spend money. having said that, i don't fool with elm and a couple of other interlocking grain hardwoods. white oak & hickory split nicely when dry. if i was supplying a camp or selling it, or i needed it to last for months in a more northerly climate, i would buy a good gas powered splitter today. as it is, i'm covered up with hickory and have more split than i will need for this year and next...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts