Trad Talk Forums banner

Log Cabin

Tags
cabin log
7K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  stevelong 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it's a camp, and I'll eventually be doing some bowhunting from it.

Two friends and I have been building a cabin in our spare time. We meet once or twice a week and go to it. So far it's only cost us the price of gas and a few tools.

See less See more
#2 ·
VERGE, right spot to post it, I'd say, but I can't open your pictures.
Bet the cabin is GREAT.
You can PM one of the moderators to see what is up with the pics.

#5 ·
Interesting that you asked. The original cabin that stood there was built with the fireplace against the rock, but it burned down and, when we began our re-construction, the old fireplace was just about crumbling down. We used the stones for the foundation of this one.

#6 ·
Verge, thanks for the pics, and congrats on a great start to your cabin.
IMPRESSIVE.
I love the stone foundation, too.
Beautiful surroundings, you are a lucky man.

#19 ·
Just an update on the cabin. I didn't get to work much on it over the winter (school kept me busy) but this summer I've been back at it a couple hours a week. The walls are now done, the door is cut, and the kingposts for the ridgepole are up. This weekend I'm putting up the ridgepole.

#23 ·
Great stuff. Nothing drives home the appreciation for shelter like building it yourself. The first rain on the roof, or the first snowfall while inside by the fire are signature moments of appreciation in the human spirit.

#24 ·
Thanks guys :D I'm really looking forward to sitting in here on a rainy day, reading. So here's the ridgepole and first supports. I threw my back out working on this today, so I guess I'll be house-bound for the next while :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.