Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Great stuff. Nothing drives home the appreciation for shelter like building it yourself. The first rain on the roof, or the first snowfall while inside by the fire are signature moments of appreciation in the human spirit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks guys :D I'm really looking forward to sitting in here on a rainy day, reading. So here's the ridgepole and first supports. I threw my back out working on this today, so I guess I'll be house-bound for the next while :p

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Man you got a lot of shakes to cut now....;)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Looks like you've got the makings of a fine cabin! What will you be using for chinking?

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
I checked & Verge has not been on the forum for close to a year.
Hoping you're OK Verge.

Reactions: Verge

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to throw an update on the cabin and explain my long-term absence. The back injury was worse than it seemed, so I wasn't able to work on the cabin anymore last summer. In fact, I was practically unable to move for five days. About a month after my last post, I moved to France to teach English for nine months. On my vacations, and during a final six weeks with no work, I tramped from Paris to Western Spain. I was having some crazy adventures, and I've only recently returned to Canada. I went out to check on the cabin the other day, and cut the rafters. I'm happy to say that it's in fine condition and I'll be getting some work done on it now.

Here's a picture from the outside and inside. Not too much different from last time, I'm afraid, but the rafters will be going up over the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Also, to reply to longrifle346's question, we've chinked it (most of it) with moss for now, but later on, when everything has settled, we'd like to put mortar between the logs. For now, though, I'm diggin' the look of the moss.

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
thanks Verge for updating us on it!!
I love this project......

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Also, to reply to longrifle346's question, we've chinked it (most of it) with moss for now, but later on, when everything has settled, we'd like to put mortar between the logs. For now, though, I'm diggin' the look of the moss.
moss is cool. looks aint everything, but they DO count under "customer satisfaction"...:highfive:

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
What a beauty ! You should be proud of your work. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This may be the slowest cabin build ever posted, but I thought I'd post some updates. A lot has changed for me over the last six years; new career, new family, and all the bits and pieces that come with it. I've spent more time enjoying the cabin than I have working on it, and not enough time doing either.

The photos show two perspectives from the interior and one from the outside. I've now got a wood stove for heat, but do most of the cooking on the propane stove when the weather is warm. The wood stove is a Jotul that comes apart, or I never would have been able to carry the thing back there.

The wife and kids absolutely love it here. What it lacks in amenities it more than makes up for in freedom.

My next plans are asphalt shingles, a loft, a counter with cup-boards, and some bunk-beds. I also want to make a couple little spike-camps further up the river at some point, or perhaps a base for a wall tent.

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts