Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a long Skype chat with a buddy of mine from back home at the weekend. He is a high ranking IFAA and other federations Barebow shooter, mostly field but still plenty of 3D. He uses a deep hook super curve limb for 3D but a conventional profile wood core limb for field. In his opinion the speed of his 3D bow is perfect for unmarked 3D but he finds grouping on mid to long range targets on marked field rounds better with conventional limbs.
I have heard this argument before but I don't know if it's based on science or purely anecdotal. Has anyone here run similar comparisons for long range grouping. Maybe Martin or Alan have played with this at some point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I can't say about the deep hook recurve limbs, but over the years I've been shooting Olympic recurve, I did come across some limbs that just worked for me at 70m and 90m. I never did chronograph those limbs, but looking back, I would have to say it was the feel at the clicker that really helped me gain those extra points at longer distances. Speed is nice, but being able to hold your pin (or arrow point) on target and obtain a crisp release trumps other factors, IMO.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Having seen pics of the hex 7, not sure my uukhas fit the super curve catagory anymore, but.....I do like shooting them. :D

·
markliep
687 Posts
Seem to recall reading that flatter trajectories are more forgiving when distance is misjudged - my current understanding is that its d.t. less relative vertical drop though I'm open to a better explanation - I only have experience with wheelie vs recurve at longer distances & the wheelie made me look better than the recurve did - M

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the sake of this debate, I would include Uukha in that category along with Morrison, Dryad and Border.
I have never tried grouping limbs of that style at long range so really have no clue if my buddy is on to something or it's just a mental thing with him. I know I found the Uukhas very hard to tune but I did tune them to 25yds so no surprise if they wouldn't group at 60yds really, that was just me.

·
赛
614 Posts
"Bow Mojo".

An undefinable but unmistakeable combination of riser and limbs with which you can Just Plain Hit. Not transferable, BTW.

I've had it with with certain flyrods & firearms. Haven't found it with a bow yet (as only back into archery for the last 4 months) but the trail is definitely getting hotter.

That's my oh-two.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bow mojo could be part of the mental aspect. If you think you shoot something better you normally do.

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
Bow mojo can be a positive feedback loop. If you happen upon a setup that works wonderfully for you, you shoot better, you score higher, you feel better, and gain confidence. A strong, confident shot is always better than a weak-willed shot. Kind of weird how that works, but I know that happens to me.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Other way round too. I had a 21" Dalaa riser that just messed with my head. I couldn't shoot that thing for love nor money, with any limbs on.
So irrespective of limb profile, is the best limb for grouping long range the one you "think" will be the best.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I can see it from a feel point of view.
My favourite 3D recurve was set up FAST.
But I changed the tune on it when I went hunting.
It was simply nicer to shoot with 10-12gpi arrows and off the shelf,than with 6.5gpi and from a flipper rest.
Just "feel" is all,if it feels better you'll shoot it better.

John.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I haven't shot my Hex6's enough to come with any conclusive comparison but I did shoot 5 National records in a 3 month period last Summer, I don't think I've ever shot that many records is such a short time span.

I like the tighter long range gaps, I feel that I shoot long up/down shots past 50y with a lot more confidence. If my form is spot on the Hex limb is a nail driver, if Form isn't so good I'll make poor shots just the same as any other limb type.

I'm still experimenting with tune with the Vanquish, I switched to 24 strand 8190 and took brace height up to 7.5", I'm now REALLY happy the groups at all distances and no apparent loss of performance.

I did this group this morning, walkback 15 to 60 yards, 1 shot every 5 yards, I pulled the last 55 and 60 yard right (my fault) I pretty happy with this, it would keep me in the vitals most of my IFAA 3D shots. As the weather improves I hope to tighten these groups up.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Thanks Joe, I think it's the whole setup that rocks, I'm just along for the ride :p

When the weather turns nicer and I get a new memory card for my camera I will post some videos, I can feel it will be a fun shooting year for me. :shooting:

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I really don't think limb shape effects grouping. How you have the limbs tuned and what arrows you are shooting - that will effect grouping but not the shape.

Take a look at the 90 meter challenge that Rusty posted. I think the top 3 groups were super curves.

In my mind super curves are more about feel than added performance and I sure do love the feel.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get you Matt but I'm leaning more towards a confidence thing. If you feel more confident with something it will work better for you. If the feel of a limb at full draw and release feels better to you than another one you will favor that, whatever the shape.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Jon,

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that the mental game is more important than most any other aspect of the shot. If a person feels more confident shooting a particular bow, than they will shoot better with that bow. Its a lot like broadheads and deer hunting. Barring some extreme examples, they'll all get the job done, so the right choice often comes down to which one the hunter "feels" is best.

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very true Jason and that is what my buddy said. In his mind his MK limbs come off his fingers smoother that his deep hook limbs so mentally he feels like he's in more control of the shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts