Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My ILF bows are 17” risers with long limbs at 62” length, the take dow recurves I had before were the same. The thought was to stay with the longer limbs for a smoother draw and a short riser to keep the overall length no more than 62” length. I shot a 19” riser that had cheap medium limbs for a 62” overall length and that has a much different feel, more different than I would expect. It’s hard to describe but the bow feels more stable and the limbs less whippy with medium limbs compared to longs.
When I put my long limbs on the 19” riser I loose that more stable feel, the shorter limbs feel quicker and although I haven’t chronographed the arrows, I like the feel, but the cheap limbs just vibrate for a bit after the shot.
So I’m just trying to see if ordering some half descent medium limbs would be a good idea?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, my PoV is always "you should experiment."

On the flip side-
  • Generally speaking folks recommend "long limbs / short riser" - do a google search on "long limbs and short riser or short riser and long limbs" to see some of the worlds finest discuss this ad nauseum and generally get to "long limbs, short riser- slower but more accurate/feel better too"
  • I have had ILF bows feel weird because I simply had not set up in their "groove." You could maybe change some things on your current rig like crank in limb bolts a bit more/less, change brace height, change around arrow spine/tip weight, nock point, etc. and sometimes a bow feels a TON differently, especially the brace. A bow can go from "weird" to "pleasant" with modest fistmele changes. I have made some real bonehead mistakes in past. Super easy to do, I still occasionally screw it up on ILF. One of reasons I like shooting my Bear takedowns so much.. limits things to tweak.
  • Maybe you have a bad set of limbs, this is their way of telling you..

·
Registered
257 Posts
17" riser with medium limbs are about perfect! I have some medium Tradtech Blackmax 2.0s and some Galaxy Silver Star medium limbs. The Silver Star are foam cores and are very smooth! Neither set of limbs will break the bank. Both are under $150.

The 17" and mediums are probably my favorite setup right now of about all my bows.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The long limbs work great on my 17” risers but the 19” riser does have more of a deflex design over the 17” riser, so that may be part of the difference in feel.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Let me understand: you've shot longs on 19" riser and you feel losing stability with them compared with mediums. The single thing that can make this happen is the difference in poundage between longs and mediums. If the longs are low draw weight and the mediums are higher draw weight, your string fingers will be loaded more during the draw cycle and your entire muscles involved in the shot will tighten and you will feel "more stable" shooting mediums.
If both longs and mediums are same poundage this shouldn't happen - it's just 1" on each side of the riser and if you feel imbalanced, it's a core / form issue.
PS If you want to order cheap medium limbs, order them in same weight as your long limbs.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The difference in feel is small but noticeable, the long limbs are heavier and the medium are very light. After I thought about that i think it was more of a combination of things I hadn’t considered plus the little extra length. I’m sure the length makes some difference though or the size from medium to long wouldn’t be so little. My new medium limbs which are similar to the longs are on the way so I’ll check it out then.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my new medium limbs which are similar in and it does feel much better than the longs on this 19” riser. I wouldn’t think it would feel that much difference in both feel and shooting but it does.
I guess that’s why there is so little difference in length between mediums and longs that are sold because there is a difference in feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts