Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I got a martin riser from quiverman, pic attached. since I am really new to all this archery stuff ;), I would like to have the support of my local bow shop. I took it there and asked about purchasing some sage limbs to put on it. the owner took a set of sage limbs and dropped them in the sockets and said there would be too mu side to side play and he would not advise doing this. quiverman had sage limbs on it and they fit well.

my question is, how much space is OK between the side of the pocket and the limb? 0" 1/32" 1/16" each side? just one?

the follow on, how to line up the limbs vertically? to ensure one is not tilted to one side and the other limb not tilter to the other? does it matter? I am thinking this can simulate twisted limbs if they are not properly aligned?

Thx!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
There must be no space and the limbs should be centered by Index pins or some DIY'ers use cork or some other material on the sides of the riser pockets. I could personally NOT tolerate the bushed up sides because it seems to be a cobbled up way instead of an index pin to have the limbs anchored to a center index.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if I also go the pin route, should the pin be on the riser and insert into the limbs, or should the pin be on the limbs and insert into the riser?

does it matter, other than appearance, that the limb bottom is not flush with the bottom of the limb socket? the gap is about 1/4 ot 3/8" between the bottom of the limb pocket and the bottom of the limbs. are there any issues with that? in my amateurish look at the physics of the bow it seems like that will not effect anything.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I would like to have a brass receiver in the limbs and a pin in the riser. Quinns have the pin in the limb but it seems that take off of the limbs sometimes causes them to loosen up.

I make a template from the limb and get it an exact fit and clamp/drill in a milling machine or drill press with the part level and at 90 degree's (Limbs) and the same when I transfer the drill location in the riser.

Double measure with calipers when you locate center for your index pin in the riser.

What riser do you have?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts