Trad Talk Forums banner

Limb failure and warranty issue with Alt Sporting Service

8K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  pipcount 
#1 ·
The W&W limb failure I just got a reply from Alternative Sporting Services. Here is their answer after back and forth emails of them trying to avoid covering under warranty. Oh it’s a two year warranty but .... “huge lump of rubber” is a sims vibration dampener for recurves.

“Thank you for your email.

We think the huge lump of rubber you attached to the limb may have contributed to an early failure. We will need to refer the matter to our W&W suppliers to get a definitive answer if the warranty has been invalidated or not.

This is why you never buy anything from anywhere but a US dealer or Lancaster. I would already have this resolved.

Last pic is W&W website picture of a staff shooter using the same Sims vib
All limbs and companies have failures, delamination happens. I always used a 18 or 20 strand 8125 string, my outdoor arrows are over 9GPP, limbs are taken off with a stringer after shooting. Delam happened right at the end of the fade out. I should have known they were failing as the tiller had changed 1/2”. I check tiller and BH every time I string it up.

#wiawis
#winandwin
#winwin

Attachments

See less See more
#39 ·
Ren, sorry to hear about the limb failure, but glad it worked out in the end.

Your failure looks very much like the one I had when my limb exploded during a FITA tournament with about 100 participants. The explosion was heard across the shooting line, and probably by many in the surrounding community.

Like you, I had to deal with naysayers at the tournament, and it really hurt. These naysayers also claimed that my splinters were pointing in the wrong direction and that I must have ran over the bow with my car that was parked 200 yards away. I tried to explain that the rules prevent me from leaving the shooting line between arrows to move my car. That just led to them going to the judges accusing me of a rules violation.

I have to admit that I watch neither Forensics Files or Snapped (whatever that is). I am not Pinkerton, a private investigator, or a star on CSI. But I am a scientist with a PhD.

But then, I have no experience germane to this issue, such as work working in a materials lab of a major aerospace manufacturer on graphite epoxy composites research that included destructive testing. Wait a minute....that's exactly what I used to do !!!

#41 ·
I sold a set of limbs on here and three days or so the limb did exactly the same thing. The buyer just gave me a heads up, I refunded his money. (Different manufacturer) but delaminated just like this set and splintered at the delam the same.

#44 ·
I know this is an older post but I was just reading this and I thought I would mention my experience. I bought a bow from Three Rivers Archery several years ago and the top limb delaminated. I hah had the bow, a Samick Sage about 2 weeks, called Three Rivers and they asked me to send it back and told me that they would replace it. They ended up sending me the new bow before I even shipped it back. That is some good customer service.

#46 ·
I’ve had issues with Alternative with a limb they sent me with a visual flaw in the limb lamination half way up one limb. After sending them a picture their response was that it passed the inspection of the manufacturer so it should be fine. There is no way I could ever resale these limbs.
Buying stuff cheap overseas is not without risks.

#49 · (Edited)
TRACKER1, I agree, JUST MY OPINION HERE, not pushing it.
where you said "Buying stuff cheap overseas is not without risks."
if I buy stuff here in the states and problems ensue....and if I don't get properly treated on the return or repair things...........
me being of the opinion that God did not put me on this earth to quietly be taken advantage of........it's fully within the possibility of me driving somewhere, and meeting face to face, and giving someone the opportunity to pound me into the ground......me being 170 pounds and old.
Losing travelling money, losing dignity, hospital bills, reconstructive surgery notwithstanding, it might be worth it to gain or make a POINT.
not so, worth it, overseas. FOR ME.
:cool:

Reactions: rsarns
#50 ·
TRACKER1, I agree, JUST MY OPINION HERE, not pushing it.
where you said "Buying stuff cheap overseas is not without risks."
if I buy stuff here in the states and problems ensue....and if I don't get properly treated on the return or repair things...........
me being of the opinion that God did not put me on this earth to quietly be taken advantage of........it's fully within the possibility of me driving somewhere, and meeting face to face, and giving someone the opportunity to pound me into the ground......me being 170 pounds and old.
Losing travelling money, losing dignity, hospital bills, reconstructive surgery notwithstanding, it might be worth it to gain or make a POINT.
not so, worth it, overseas.
:cool:
I have dealt with 3R and Lancaster and both have stellar reputations. I have dealt with those companies customer service and they have been great. I also have a TenPoint crossbows for many years and their customer service is outstanding. But with all of them the great customer service comes at a cost.
If I get burned I just right it off, I believe that is what God would want me to do (turn the other cheek), but I will let others know about my experience.
As to my experience with Alternative Archery I’m not bitter over it, disappointed yes but not bitter. I notified them with pics and their response suggests they would take care of it if it started to split.
Actually, I have a pending 350.00 order with them now, the same item that would cost over 500.00 at the 3R or Lancaster.

#51 ·
I have had to return 4 defective items to Alt- they were fantastic….Alternativess service is my go to supplier.
Its worth mentioning- the failures were no reflection on Alt…some of the risers were cheapies…and the limbs were notorious for failures but they handled it perfectly.

Reactions: Draven O and Steve
#52 ·
Alt Services has been fine for me. One return of Uukha limbs with twist. Somewhere on here I documented... at end was resolved, but it did take a while. On the flip side, on the other orders with massive numbers or risers, limbs, arrows, etc. etc. etc. I have had no quality issues. I did have an order where they sent me wrong part, and it is sort of comical- I ordered a continuous string jig, got a fletching jig from same manufacturer- think of the size difference! I have had a couple orders of arrows that took forever to arrive during COVID, but not sure if I can fault Alt services as they listed as out of stock and I knew I would have to wait.

So if I save ~20-30% and less than ~5% of my orders by cost had any significant issues the balance is highly favorable to me. I like math like that, figure I can self insure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.