Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my name is Pete, from CT. I am here daily but I don't post much. I have a question for the DAS gurus. I have my bolts on my 17" DAS turned all the way in, but I recently got a set of hex 5s from Sid for my 11 yr old nephews DAS set up. He also has a 17" riser(my loaner). At his 25" draw, the limbs are showing 38#. Our state min for deer is 40#, so I figure by October I will have them cranked to that. Anyway the 140# dough boy can't seem to draw the 38#! Talk about a disappointed uncle. How far can I turn the bolts out? Right now I have approx 3/16 of thread showing on the outside of the riser, and looking inside the limb pocket I have a 1/4" gap. I know I am only going to loose a pound or so but it may be enough. Any help or advise is appreciated.

Pete
:thankyou:

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're asking a lot from an eleven year old. Even at 140lbs he's still just a kid and his muscles are still developing. An eleven year old doesn't have much upper body strength and has to be worked up over time. Start him at 20# and let him work his way up to 40#. He should be ready in about a year or more to handle 40# competently.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Let him work up to the 40#.....starting at 38# is probably too much...you don't want him to hurt himself...I would save the Borders til a little later...find him a set of 25# or so....

To the original question ...I would not back the bolts out no more than 6 turns max....

Dewayne

·
Spearhead
3,573 Posts
Rock
I agree with above comments, start low weight and let him work up at his rate, his body is young and easily damaging joints plus going to heavy to fast he will develop bad habits to pull the weight if it's to heavy.

I started my son out on a 15# compound, he worked up to 25# quickly, max for that bow, had him shoot it for a year till he moved to another bow. He's now pulling 31# at his draw.

Recurve he started at 20# limbs (19" riser), he quickly maxed out those limbs, at his draw prob 20-22#, let him try my 28# form limbs and he quickly maxed those out, he now has 30# limbs on his recurve and working them.

With a growing kid buy cheap cheap ilf limbs $80-100 limbs, as he moves up you can sell them.
If your thinking you spent all the money on borders, your in good shape, can save them till he grows into them, keep them for yourself, or sell off 38# is a good target weight for many archers.

Just my thoughts

Chad

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Lighter is better

As to your first question - flip the riser over and look at the limb bolts from the bottom. As you back them out you will see the little screws that come in from the side of the limb bolt hole to hold the bolt. So long as those screws are making contact with the bolt you are good.

I start all my kids on SF Axiom limbs they are dirt cheap and surprisingly good for the bucks.

Start him light and build up he won't develop bad habits and will be a much better shooter for it. It's almost impossible to learn form when you are struggling with weight.

Also keep in mind he wants to please you and probably won't fess up when he is struggling with weight.

---------------------------------------------------

Team Montana - we are coming for your quarters ;-)

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
11 y.o. and 38#.................. You're expectations are way off.

We start beginners with 14 to 20# limbs and some of those beginners are adults.

I suggest you ease off on the hunting aspirations and teach the lad to shoot for fun at a weight he can easily handle. That way in a few years when he can control hunting poundage he'll still be enjoying archery and still be shooting with you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts