Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm helping a disabled adult get into archery. She is having problems with mass weight. Her current bow is a 66" Samick Polaris (thanks Matt) with 18# limbs shot barebow. She shoots the bow well but the mass weight is more than she can handle for more than a few arrows.
Are there any other risers that are lighter? She has a 28" DL and so I'd like to keep her on a bow at least 62" long.

Thanks,
Grant

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,566 Posts
What about light weight wooden longbows. They have a very low mass.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Matt:
I'm thinking about putting those limbs on one of the plastic Cartel Triple risers, they are supposed to be extremely light weight.
I was also thinking about making some aluminum limb bolts, at 18# they should be no problem.
Speaking of no problem, the 18# DW is actually a little light for her so I'm thinking the switch to the shorter riser might give that extra 4# which will be perfect. She's rather strong but the heart condition makes holding her arms up very difficult.

The doctors tell her that she's going to need her third heart surgery this fall. She wasn't supposed to live long enough to need another one so it's rather bittersweet. We are both hoping she will be shooting for many years to come.

Hank:
I've thought about that, but she's got muscle tremors so I want to stack the accuracy odds in her favor. She shoots the bow really well, just not for very long.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Has anyone adapted one of the old Bear Minuteman/Patriot risers recently with new-tech limbs? I know there is a history of them being used with heavy limbs with mixed results. They are light-weight and with lighter limbs might do very well

I may still have one stashed in the back of the bow closet---I think. I had 3 or 4 or them at one time.

EDIT: OOPS!!! can't find'em. I may have shipped them down to Sam for some of his projects. you might check with him

·
Registered
779 Posts
Grant, I have a Cartel Triple riser that I have paired with Sage limbs and it is a great shooter. The riser is light weight and is set up for use with sights, plunger, and stabilizer. LAS sells them of about $35-40 I think and they will fit the Polaris limbs. Just get a 62 inch riser and depending on the length of your current limbs it will come out at least 62 inches.
If I remember the risers come in either black or a light blue color that she may like. The riser is cut to center, but not much past. I have found that a simple Bear Weatherest works perfectly and will give you good arrow flight, especially for a beginner.

Glad you are doing such good work and I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grant, I have a Cartel Triple riser that I have paired with Sage limbs and it is a great shooter. The riser is light weight and is set up for use with sights, plunger, and stabilizer. LAS sells them of about $35-40 I think and they will fit the Polaris limbs. Just get a 62 inch riser and depending on the length of your current limbs it will come out at least 62 inches.
If I remember the risers come in either black or a light blue color that she may like. The riser is cut to center, but not much past. I have found that a simple Bear Weatherest works perfectly and will give you good arrow flight, especially for a beginner.

Glad you are doing such good work and I hope this info helps.
Awesome info Sarge. You wouldn't have the ability to get me weights for both risers would you? Also did the limbs gain any DW with the switch?
She is currently shooting with a Hoyt Superrest and I think we'll stay with one of those.

Thanks,
Grant

·
Registered
779 Posts
Grant, my wife shoots a Sage and it is a 62 inch bow. I bought the Cartel riser and Sage limbs based on a thread on the LW and it is amazing. With the Cartel Triple 62 inch riser the bow turns out at 62 just like the regular Sage riser. I put 30 lb limbs on this and according to my scale they are right at 30' so no weight gain. It takes a 58 inch D97 string and shoots well with an 8-1/2 inch BH. Unfortunately I have no scale capable of weighing the physical weight of the riser so can't help you there.
Check your PM s.

Bill

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
grant.. remember limb mass also contributes to total bow mass. i know you can save nearly 40 grams per limb if chosen right.

but thats a different quest.

im currently trying to make/adapt a bow for a lad who lost his hand in an accident with a tractor. though im in a different boat. hes as hard as nails. 2 black belts in two martal arts and has had 7 professional fights. weight lifter.
im trying to put a ball joint from a honda quad bike infront of the riser. increasing deflex massivly.
i need to put this into a threaded insert in his prosthetic arm.
but yes. the riser doesnt need to be that strong for 18lbs.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
fiberbows are very light. but get a straight one. and that not a subtle remark. setting up centreshot on a bow thats twisted is not easy.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! Especially the kind offers from Matt and Bill, you are class acts!

Bill:
Were those Sage limbs or Polaris? I believe you once put Sage limbs on your Polaris didn't you? Was it a 66 or 64 riser? Any weight change?
I'm wondering if these risers follow the 1# per 1" rule like ILF.

Sid:
Very cool stuff. Maybe one day if I can afford it I'll look into something more exotic. For now she's happy having something she can do outside.
I believe the 21" Excel is very light as well, that would probably be the next step for her.

-Grant

·
Registered
779 Posts
Grant, these are Sage limbs, however the Polaris limbs will work fine. I've never had a Polaris bow so not sure what length your Polaris limbs will end up on this riser but it will be a minimum of 62.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill,

I had you confused with someone else who has done that swap. It'll be interesting to see what they weight ends-up at.

-Grant

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I have coached some light draw archers and have a some observations:
First, you want really efficient limbs for good performance; ILF recurve limbs are best, so longbows not a good choice.
Second, really light arrows are needed for good performanc. Beman Carbon Express are available in weak spines and light weight. Lancaster Archery will advise and make up arrows to your specs for cheap.
Swing draw is good for economy of effort and lower fatigue. Do not raise the bow to preaim and draw from there. Preaim mentally, visualizing sight picture. Start with the bow and string held downward along the thigh, draw as it is swung upward, come into line and begin to find the sight picture with about 8" of draw remaining. Find anchor, refine aim and complete the shot. Most archers can handle more draw weight and shoot more arrows with the swing draw before fatigue sets in.

I teach it and use it myself taking plenty of time for aiming, but it can be accelerated to touch and go style with pretty good accuracy. The trick is mental preaiming, and completing the aim during the last part of the draw, and shooting to a fairly rapid rhythm. - lbg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts