Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Imperial longbow on order from Kegan McCabe from Omega longbows that is ordered at 33#@28". I do have some carbons to play around with for getting a initial tune once it comes then I would like to get some light weight carbons to maximize my speed and distance. I have been looking at Easton Lightspeeds, Easton Carbon Ones and GT Ultra lights. Any pluses or minuses between these three. I would like to give some field a try this summer nothing competitive just something I would love to try with a longbow and my bare bow more so with the longbow.

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
Nice! I have an Imperial on order as well. Going to try the paperstone riser on this one.

Anyways, I have the GT Ultralights. Complete arrow is about 310gr. They have proven to be fairly tough, though they will flower at the tip if you hit something solid like a big rock or a metal target butt bracket. I'd buy them again and would foot them next time around.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've got more than a small suspicion that GT Warriors are GT Ultralight 2nds (Warriors are listed @ +/-.006). Inexpensive way to play.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Arron...don't overlook the Victory VAP arrows...I bought a dozen bareshafts from LAS...the V6 versions...+/-.006"...which run more like culls that just barely didn't make +/-.003"......these .800 spine versions weigh 5.1gpi...far lighter than more expensive others in their class....these V6's run $79.95 a dozen "bare" and come with nocks...I left them full length with victory SS 120gr glue-in points....they were expensive at $24.95 a dozen but well worth it...precision machined and shiny with long shanks...this was the day I got them...

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
And this is how they shot a couple days later after I "Two-Fletched" then with 3" LW feathers...I've sinvce gone to 105X75deg. 4-Fletch and they are flying more stable and grouping tighter yet and I blow at this! :lol:

Hope this helps and L8R, Bill.

·
j-san = Jason
1,684 Posts
J-san,

That's to funny two guys from MN having a Imperial on order with Kegan. Mine is 68" 33#@28 with a mahogany stain, red phenolic strip in the riser and red phenolic tips.
What can I say? Kegan makes some killer custom bows that can't be beat for the money! I have one of his original Omega longbows and it achieves speeds as fast as my top-shelf ILF recurves.

Sounds like a handsome bow you've spec'd out. I talked with Kegan about the paperstone material and he isn't sure how it will turn out on the Imperial, so I guess this bow will be kind of a prototype test bow for him. Black glass with the black paperstone riser and the usual hickory limb cores. I'm going for an all-black stealth look. He thinks he will get around to building in in late April. Perhaps we ought to meet up for a little show-and-tell this summer!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
J-san, we should do that. I also have the black glass limbs. I did have one of his Omegas but it was a combination of to heavy and to much hand shock for my bow arm elbow. Loved the bow and it was a performer but my elbow begged to differ.
With the Imperial's riser mass I am hoping this one will be a great fit.
Now the bummer part the wait!
Well its beautiful out here and I should be outside shooting. I will have to check later if there are more suggestions. I will have to check out the Vaps add well.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
996 Posts
Arron,

I'm not sure about the Imperial but Kegan's Original was warrantied for an arrow no lighter than 8 gpp. I fired off some rockets today out of my Imperial which is about 41# at my draw length. For the money, I really like the Gold Tip Ultralite Entrada's. I'm shooting 500 spine arrows with 125g tips, they weigh 360g or just a bit under 9 gpp.

As a side note, I have always found Kegan's longbows to shoot best with an arrow around 10 gpp. You will experience more hand shock with a lighter arrow. Generally speaking, with an Omega longbow braced around 6" will shoot a 10gpp arrow around 185 fps, plenty fast.

·
ryan brodrick
2,137 Posts
[email protected] you're not going to be able to shoot anything close to a .600 unless it's full length and even then it might be too stiff. I'd be looking at the vap or .check out McKinney juniors.

·
ryan brodrick
2,137 Posts
A skinny string and puffball silencers should help a bunch with noise and hand shock with longbows and light arrows. 452 is always my favorite for a setup like this.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
omegas take a stiffer arrow them you think. I had a 35# omega that scaled closer to 40# and needed a 30" .500 with a 125g tip to tune right.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts