Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 24716 On my way to putting in a 14 target field course. Just finished target #6
I chose a 36x36x12 frame from a pressure treated 2x12. I then had a couple dozen 36x36 faces made by a polypropylene company. They are heavyduty 6.5oz woven

I know a lot of people building these targets chose clothing as filler. Due to availability and quality of material, I used heavy grade pallet wrap. I wanted the whole target to be waterproof as it will be setting out year round.

I spent much time compressing it as I filled the target. I have tested it with crossbows, recurves and compounds and the end result has been excellent

8 more targets to go I plan on posting a detailed account of one of my builds with pictures.

View attachment 24718 View attachment 24717

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
How much was the face material and where did you get it?
Thanks,
Grant

·
markliep
687 Posts
Fwiw I got some life time faces from a company that talks them up on AT & built a 4x4' target frame - the one thing I didn't do was move the target around on the face - ended up shooting out the centre of the polypro - contacted the company & was told that the self-healing properties touted were only good if the same section was not shot out (catch-22 déjà vu) - moral of the story is that when I use the prettiest target I have I use it for longer distance shots so I don't get pass throughs & do not centre the target over the middle - the best lessons are the cheap ones so hope this helps some - M

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fwiw I got some life time faces from a company that talks them up on AT & built a 4x4' target frame - the one thing I didn't do was move the target around on the face - ended up shooting out the centre of the polypro - contacted the company & was told that the self-healing properties touted were only good if the same section was not shot out (catch-22 déjà vu) - moral of the story is that when I use the prettiest target I have I use it for longer distance shots so I don't get pass throughs & do not centre the target over the middle - the best lessons are the cheap ones so hope this helps some - M
Any target face will wear out. The original term "lifetime target" refers to the stuffing which was clothes. You will have to replace faces regardless of the claims you see online

I too had purchased some target faces off a supplier on AT. I thought they were of adequate quality, but overpriced in my opinion. So I decided to seek out my own supplier.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Grant

I have $10/sheet in them before shipping. I don't want to list my supplier since I sell these targets locally
If you are willing to share via PM for those people too far away to buy from you that would be great.

-Grant

·
Registered
193 Posts
At a time when field courses are closing down, you're to be commended for building one. I've been the range master for our club for along time, and no one appreciates what you are undertaking more than me. I spend a lot of time over the years working on and maintaining our field course, it's a thankless job. Again, I salute you!

We received our NFAA affiliation in 1958, so we've learned a few tips and tricks over the years, if I can be of any help, just let me know. If you haven't already, a good place to start is the NFAA's staking and target guide.

Good luck! And I hope your endeavor is a huge success!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I built a 14 target course for our club 3 years ago. Tons of work, but you got a great start there. :cheers:

Please post more pics of your build it would be very interesting to watch the progression. I did a build along of our course on AT.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At a time when field courses are closing down, you're to be commended for building one. I've been the range master for our club for along time, and no one appreciates what you are undertaking more than me. I spend a lot of time over the years working on and maintaining our field course, it's a thankless job. Again, I salute you!

We received our NFAA affiliation in 1958, so we've learned a few tips and tricks over the years, if I can be of any help, just let me know. If you haven't already, a good place to start is the NFAA's staking and target guide.

Good luck! And I hope your endeavor is a huge success!
I have the course laid out with all lanes cut. Been working on targets and markers this winter. I grew up shooing field archery and I sill enjoy shooting a round today. i enjoy all types of archery, but a good field course holds a special place with me

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might need a few larger butts, especially if you ever shoot animal targets.
I agree, I'm only setting up for the Field targets and markers. This range is on my own property so i didnt want to have to put in all the yardage markers for Field,hunter and animal.

I do have one 40x40 target that is for the birdie/bunny target

·
Registered
878 Posts
I get it, that's awesome. Our club is only a mile away so it's almost as good.

We made our 24 targets the same way. We fill them with an industrial fabric byproduct that I'm not supposed to mention - I guess it's so they don't get every club within a hundred miles bugging them for the material.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A few had expressed interest as to where i got the fabric. Its heavy duty 6.5oz woven polypropylene from http://bagcorpstore.com

they also have fillable bag targets of the same material. they are 37x37 before filling. I have purchased several of these and they are a great buy

target faces $10/set

bag targets $10 each

I think its one of the best deals in archery. just wanted to share with everyone

1 - 18 of 18 Posts