Votes: 39 49.4%
  • Endless

Votes: 40 50.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Back Yard Hack
757 Posts
Flemish for me.

They are better looking, generally quieter, and I know a guy who can build them to be just as consistent as any well built endless. :)

Rick

Reactions: Glenn M

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Endless for everything but my longbow. Soon, I am going to see if the guy who posted above me can beat my endless loop strings with his Flemish Twist. I have two of his skinny strings on order. Flemish are pretty cool looking on wood bows. I think they look a little out of place on modern recurves.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Flemish for me.
I shot endless forever an then discovered Flemish when I got a home PC an found the internet.
I can't even say why I prefer Flemish other than Feel.
I've bought my strings from 3 Rivers for about 15 years.
Have tried others but always returned to 3R.

John.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Flemish is the choice for trad bows and especially for wooden bows.
Mostly made of simple Dacron. The Flemish string has more stretch due to the laced parts at the ends (don't know the special English word for the loops, we call it "Öhrchen" which is the belittlement of ear). That added to the residual extensibility of Dacron makes a nice soft string for wooden bows. It is silent and doesn't stress the limb tips that much. You pay for it with less acceleration effectivity and thus, less arrow speed.
Dacron has a residual strech of around 5% and ist much more elastic than modern yarns for endless strings.

So, if your limbs can cope with the stress and you don' need to have a really silent hunting bow, I would recommend an endless string, made of a modern material with lesser or nearly no residual stretch (original Fastflite approx. 3% and Fastflite Plus or 8125 approx. 1%)

Holger

·
Back Yard Hack
757 Posts
Rick have you noticed any performance differences ?
Joe, if I could make an endless string out perform a flemish I would shoot endless strings.

There was a time when talking run of the mill store bought strings, that endless would be a couple fps faster than flemish, but with the advances in materials, and construction processes there's no difference in them except for aesthetics & sometimes sound. That of course is when same material & strand counts are compared.

Endless are much easier to build. To build an flemish & get the most from it takes a little more time & attention.

Rick

·
Registered
267 Posts
Endless is easier to make, i Think.
15 minutes including loop serving and 100% control over the length.
If I want to make two or more 100% identical strings including the number of twists at a given length, I would always choose endless.
Not so important for hunters but for target shooters with the need to have a 100% identical replacement part or for an identical spare bow at a competition a must.

Holger

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I should add that my longbow only contacts at the end loops where there is a lot of padding. For that I shoot Flemish. I shoot HEX limbs on my recurves. My HEX6 have 8 inches of serving on the ends. There is a lot of contact area between the limbs and the string. For HEX limbs I use endless with Halo end serving to resist wear. A few years ago I was burning through end servings with my HEX5, until I switched to Halo. I continue to use this configuration with my HEX6 and have had no problems. I experimented with 3D and it seemed fine, but not as rock solid as Halo. I feel much safer with the endless loop for this configuration, rather than wearing the string fibers with a Flemish twist string.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.