Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a Bitz jig for Christmas, but I haven't bought the clamp for it yet. Is there any good argument for left or right over the other?

I was going to buy the right helical jig for no particular reason except that I shoot right handed. Then I noticed that 3 Rivers fletches all their arrows with left helical, so I figured I would go with left instead in case I ever want to buy any pre-fletched arrows from them.

So I'm currently looking at the left helical clamp. Any good reason to not get it?

Also, which glue to y'all prefer? Is there a glue that does it all for arrows - fletchings, inserts, and nocks?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I got a left clamp because LW feathers were cheap at the time. I don't think it makes much difference. Some argue that a RW feather will tighten as it hits the target, so I guess that might be something.

I use DAP Rapidfuse for fletching. It is a CA glue (super glue), but it has some flexibility so it isn't as brittle as standard CA glues. It's also cheap, and you can pick it up at the hardware store. I've never had a feather pop off of my arrows (CF, or Aluminum).

I have used it for inserts, and nocks (on swaged aluminum arrows). It's good for nocks, but hot melt glue is better for inserts/points.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I do both but usually left . When I started fletching left was about all I could get. They used to clip the right wing of the bird so it won’t fly away. Now birds are caged so no clipping. So my Jo Jan is left wing. I also have two Blitzinburgers. I did find another reason using my Blitz and right wing feathers from my Hill style LB , the quill would catch the top of my hand occasionally. Yes, I know enough to add a spot of glue. But like Bryan Ferguson I went to left wing for that bow as well. Most recurves shouldn’t be an issue, even shooting off the shelf. I look for bargains on feathers so I am prepared to buy either wing. Oh yes, I do vanes with a slight right offset. I either cap wrap or spray paint the caps of the shaft, then crest, then wipe on a couple coats of waterbased Polycrillic. I use Bohning fletch Tite, Saunders NPV glue or the fletch tape and that Rapid fuse SG. I think I may have used Ducco as well.

·
Administrator
964 Posts
I only switched from LW to RW because most shops around me only stocked RW. Otherwise, I've never seen a difference in performance between the two.

A long time ago I used to use Goat Tuff for fletching and inserts, but have switched to Fletch Tite for feathers/vanes and low-temp hot melt for inserts. I've never used glue on push-in nocks, but I have used hot melt for nock bushings.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use left, but for no particular reason. Just what came with the jig I got and I've rolled with it since. I put wax on the threads of tips to keep them tight.

Flex bond for fletching, Goldtip Tip-Grip for inserts. I've used hotmelt, but only really like it for when I'm playing around with different potential setups. Once I'm settled on what I'm building I use actual adhesive.

·
finger shooter
3,565 Posts
I checked bareshafts, found which way they naturally rotated. Then figured "dont fight the natural rotation my fingers/string put on them" and it turned out to be left wing...
Described in more detail at gateway link below:
https://www.gatewayfeathers.com/right-wing-left-wing-do-you-understand-the-difference/
Many tests have been done, I do left wing only because that's the natural spin of my arrows. Tom Parkinson and others have tested for the cause, last I read it was the direction of twist and serving causes the spin in one direction. I did not test for cause as all my strings I build are twisted the same. When setting up a new bow/arrow combo I test for natural spin.

Does it matter? In shooting spots or animals it eliminates one more variable.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Tom Parkinson and others have tested for the cause, last I read it was the direction of twist and serving causes the spin in one direction.
How can that be true ...
The string is a closed kinetic chain under tension with the attachment at the nocks in fixed planes orthogonal to the string.... how can that system impose a net rotational moment on an arrow?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I've had a thought regarding rotation of arrows....

How can an applied force in the sagittal cardinal plane impose a zero net axial rotational resultant vector? If the bow string in any way initiates or causes the rotation of the arrow, the arrow must experience a rotational moment force tangential to the radii of the arrow .... how can a bowstring do that

·
finger shooter
3,565 Posts
How can that be true ...
The string is a closed kinetic chain under tension with the attachment at the nocks in fixed planes orthogonal to the string.... how can that system impose a net rotational moment on an arrow?
Ask the guy who tested it.... Tom Parkinson. I know several pros experimented and had similar findings. Not an engineer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express. I guess I could conduct the same tests but I know Tom was extremely thorough, trying several strings, releases and fingers. You can probably google it but I'll try to find it.

·
Haybale Hunter
419 Posts
Reminds me of the time I miscalculated the net radius of the orbital flange on my bowstring. Missed solving for X by 1/1000th of a participle. Good times.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've had a thought regarding rotation of arrows....

How can an applied force in the sagittal cardinal plane impose a zero net axial rotational resultant vector? If the bow string in any way initiates or causes the rotation of the arrow, the arrow must experience a rotational moment force tangential to the radii of the arrow .... how can a bowstring do that
Since bowstrings are twisted strands, those strands form parallel ridges and valleys around the cylinder of the string. Could the steepness and relative size of those features impart a rotational force on the arrow through friction between the string and nock? I'd think the serving would cover this up though.

Or maybe an imperfect draw results in the twists of one half of the string slightly loosening while the other slightly tightens and a force is introduced at the nock on release when those forces equalize?

·
Losing arrows since 1966
339 Posts
So I got a Bitz jig for Christmas, but I haven't bought the clamp for it yet. Is there any good argument for left or right over the other?

I was going to buy the right helical jig for no particular reason except that I shoot right handed. Then I noticed that 3 Rivers fletches all their arrows with left helical, so I figured I would go with left instead in case I ever want to buy any pre-fletched arrows from them.

So I'm currently looking at the left helical clamp. Any good reason to not get it?

Also, which glue to y'all prefer? Is there a glue that does it all for arrows - fletchings, inserts, and nocks?
.....the question is not really which one…. It's which one first…. I have had a Bitz for 15+ years, and if I had to choose which one first it would be right wing…… I think right wing is a little easier to setup, and work with….. the quill lip is easier to see than when doing left wing…. Of course, the best thing to do, is just get it over with, and get all three….

...glue for carbon arrows?.....I use super glue for feathers and inserts, and never glue nocks.... I like loctite or gorilla glue..... it's more about good surface prep, than anything else.... glue for wood arrows?, no clue.....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Get the left wing. I'm obviously the only person on the planet with this experience, but I'm RH also and back in my long bow days (think narrow shelves) the quill tip of the RH cock fletch sliced the crap out of the flesh at the base of my bow hand thumb with multiple bows. Switched to LH and the quill orientation changed enough I've never had the problem again....and yes I know I could have taken the time to trim them, but didn't have to!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I think the common consensus is that as long as you dont mix left and right wing feathers on the same arrow, there's no real difference between left or right wings

·
Spearhead
4,141 Posts
Right or left doesn’t matter if your shooting off the shelf or elevated rest as long as you use right clamp with right wing and vise versa. Accuracy and impact will all be the same. Years ago right wing wasn’t available so I picked up left wing and didn’t look back. Yes I have both clamps and jigs. Left is mine and settings don’t change. Right clamp and jig is for everyone else’s and settings get adjusted all the time.

The point tightening and loosening with helical is eliminated with wax on the threads.
I shoot left helical

Chad

Now I have a question for everyone on the same subject.
“I have been told that left wing has more helical than right by a few degrees”
Any truth to that

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.