Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Black Bear/KAP combo Warf and put a single site pin on her to work on form. I switched to 3 under, pointer finger in corner of mouth, instead of split finger with middle finger in corner of my smile. This anchor allows me to line the string up with the riser, something that my middle finger in the same spot did not permit for some reason. (my string used to line up an inch or two to the right of my riser - I think this contributed significantly to my left hits)

With the string and riser lined up I feel like I have a more repeatable form and back tension feels easier to work on, as well. I could have stayed split finger and dropped my anchor but that would also drop the arrow. Going to 3 under allowed me to drop my anchor but keep the arrow in the same relative position to my eye. (just trying to minimize the variables that I am changing).

Anyway it took about twelve arrows to dial in and start hitting the 1" orange target sticker I had placed on the target. Now I just need a MM string and I'm in business. :)

The left hit thing has bugged me for a year. Something Limbwalker said in another post really shed light on the problem and some other posts on the subject of misses and form helped me pull it together. Thank you gentlemen. It's a small milestone but feels good to be off the plateau and on the climb again towards repeatable accuracy!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Esquire,

Because I hope to have the same rig put together here in a couple weeks gotta ask.... When you switched to 3 under did you notice any change in the noise level of the bow?

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. The bow is noticeably louder. I don't have any silencers on the string - I'll do that today. It's not terribly loud, but I can tell a difference.

·
Registered
508 Posts
that my middle finger in the same spot did not permit for some reason. (my string used to line up an inch or two to the right of my riser - I think this contributed significantly to my left hits)
Thanks for the quote...I learned a lot from it!

I was in the same boat as you last year...really disgusted with my constant misses to the left and thought that it was either short drawing or an incorrectly spined arrow. But my string picture looked the same as yours with the string blur about 2 inches to the right of the arrow. It was very hard to shoot consistently that way even at close range.

So, I switched to putting the pin just to the left of the string blur; this is how the Koreans shoot and it works very well for me as well.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I might have been able to alter my site picture without changing to 3 under. However, I tried drawing both ways a number of times to the spot that felt natural and comfortable and then checking the site picture to see what was happening. When my pointer instead of my middle finger was in the corner of my smile, the site picture included the string blur, as you put it (good phrase) lined up where I wanted it. I may experiment with split finger and changed anchor, but I like reducing the gap between my eye and the arrow. At least for now.

I still have alot to learn about form and what works best for me to produce the most repeatale results and various yardages!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Esquire,

It seems we were working on the same thing. Mine were shots to the right. My set up was split finger, index finger to the corner of my mouth and I would have the string touching where my nose met my cheek. I ended up with basicly the same method but I did'nt let the string touch my face at all. This helped me hold my bow more out in front of my body and caused mr to use more of my shoulder than previously.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

I'd like to do some more - I think you actually gave me the same advice I am now taking. You remember how left I was hitting from my point of aim. I remember you telling me to aim for the tree at some point, which I did, and killed the animal!
If you don't mind though, I'd like for you to stop practicing while I work on this. I need you a bit rusty and me a good bit improved if I'm to have a decent chance! :)

·
Just call me Mike
1,046 Posts
LOL. Just keep praticin. You dont have to be perfect, just consistant.LOL. Its very possible that I have the worst form ever, but Im blessed that I am at my worst all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't like to think that way, since you whupped my fanny! I prefer to tell people that I was soundly defeated by a world class shooter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts