Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the second shoot of the local K3D series.
It was my first organised competition for three years and I wasn't in the running because it's a three round comp' an I'd missed round one which there's no coming back from.
Each shoot is shot at a different club around the greater Auckland area and it's two rounds of two arrows. One in the morning the other after lunch.
Some of the better recurve shooters were not there as an NZFAA shoot was also being held that weekend and Field still holds the top spot for most BB target shooting recurvers in NZ.
Anyway I knew a few people and met a few more for the first time.
Had a great day shooting with two young compound shooting guys around 15 years old.
Both good shots and very impressive with their discipline and form.
Their shooting made me lift my own game and I shot 328 from 400 on the morning round.
That's a drop of about 20 points on my old average three years ago, so I'm well pleased with that.
Half way around the afternoon I shot a small 35 yard fallow deer that was in one of those positions that are instantly recognised.
I stepped up and shot it fast with no hesitation at full draw, just a smooth flowing shot from hand to target.
I picked up the arrow in flight with my eye when it was about half way to the target an watched it arc into the 20 zone exactly where I was looking, the perfect shot.
After that one of my young companions asked how I aimed that thing and I was silly enough to explain it.
So from there my shooting fell apart for the remainder of the round.
I would shoot a very nice shot then take two arrows on the next target.
I also missed one target totally, ,bummer.
Made most of my form mistakes by thinking about them.
I was over analysing what I was doing rather than just shooting.
The good thing is I didn't and still don't care about it other than for what I learnt or relearnt from it. It was a good lesson and shouldn't happen again as long as I can keep my mouth shut.
I found I still have the same rate of common form mistakes I always have had.
I'm working on those.
My distance judgment has stayed much the same.
Sometimes I recognise it instantly, others I need to estimate and trust my first guess, with mixed results.
I'm good from 0 to 25 yards, not so good from 25 to 30 yards, an good again at 30-35 yards which is the KD3 max for curves and my current point on.
A big day of learning and relearning for me and then I placed in 2nd place in the RU division with a score of 658.
Top recurve score was a 660 shot by an old arch enemy an good mate who has in the past out shot me by two points more times than I believe is totally fair,,,,,I don't get it,,two points every time,,,I'm not obsessed about it though,,,honest.
Anyway,I also won a $50 gift voucher at a local archery shop that's about to provide my new fletching jig.

A very cool day out.
Sorry no pic's .

John.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ben,
Yeah it's the Titan with cheap SF limbs drawing 34lbs @28,,,I think.
It shoots nice as is but I think 10lbs heavier and better limbs are not far away, I need more horse power to clean up my release and to flatten trajectory a bit.
The Titan ?
I love the riser and have plans for many different limb combinations to be used on it in the future.
I do want to try out a high grip on it as well, but have plenty of time yet 8^)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Good shooting John. Do you guys shoot similar format as our ABA for 3D and paper? Three arrows first round followed by one arrow round of twenty targets? Max distance of 48 meters (53 yds)? Your score x2 rounds (650+) would have you graded to the master grade in our old system.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good shooting John. Do you guys shoot similar format as our ABA for 3D and paper? Three arrows first round followed by one arrow round of twenty targets? Max distance of 48 meters (53 yds)? Your score x2 rounds (650+) would have you graded to the master grade in our old system.
We do use ABA paper targets on our club animal field rounds, but I haven't shot them myself for a few years now because I've concentrated on NZFAA and Kiwi 3D.
Kiwi 3D is kept very similar to 3D AAA so when either of us cross the ditch it's basically the same game same rules.

John.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Congrats, John, sounds like you still got it.

You said "....an watched it arc into the 20 zone exactly where I was looking, the perfect shot." Please explain what is the 20 zone? Perhaps you guys use a slightly different scoring system than we do?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave,the 20 zone is the heart zone on McKenzie types 3D's.
The small ring inside the heart zone is not counted in most NZ shoots, but it's still the perfect shot to me because it's what I'm always aiming for.

Our standard scoring on most field animal targets and 3D's at club level is three arrows allowed,first hit scores.
20'18'16 first arrow or 14,12,10 second arrow or 8,6,4 third arrow.
K3D is two arrows,20,18,16 or 14,12,10.
An then there's IBO "local rules" but I've never shot that myself.

John.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.